Old 09-05-2004, 04:02 PM
barbie gee

Default de-acidify some soil?

I picked up a large bag of "garden soil" and only now see that it's
"acidy", for use around shrubs and the like.

If I want to use it as a potting soil, how can I de-acidify it?
Old 09-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Brian

Just add a little lime. If none available then cement would serve as well I
would have thought.
Brian.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 09 May 2004 09:50:35 -0500, barbie gee
wrote:

I picked up a large bag of "garden soil" and only now see that it's
"acidy", for use around shrubs and the like.

If I want to use it as a potting soil, how can I de-acidify it?

Add some whiting. This is a form of calcium carbonate. It can be
purchased at most hardware and paint stores. In texture and
appearance it resembles four. Add 2 tablespoons per gallon of soil.
If you decide to use agriculture lime instead, add one teaspoon per
two gallons of soil.

Old 09-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Alan Sung

"Brian" wrote in message
Just add a little lime. If none available then cement would serve as well

would have thought.
Brian.

Lime takes a long time to work. I would try wood ash if you are going to use
it for potting soil. Here is a product that I picked up at garden show but
haven't tried yet. It is called pH+Plus www.heartnsoil.com

-al sung
Hopkinton, MA
Zone 6a

Old 09-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Beecrofter

barbie gee wrote in message ...
I picked up a large bag of "garden soil" and only now see that it's
"acidy", for use around shrubs and the like.

If I want to use it as a potting soil, how can I de-acidify it?

Ground limestone, wood ashes, or rock phosphate.
Be aware that garden soil is generally too heavy to use as potting
soil , you will need to add leaf mold or compost and sharp sand or
pearlite to open it up a bit.
If you web search "John Innes #3" you will find a good deal of info on
general potting mixes.

Old 09-05-2004, 08:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Take it back and get another next time you drive by the place you got it
from. =

barbie gee wrote:
=

I picked up a large bag of "garden soil" and only now see that it's
"acidy", for use around shrubs and the like.
=

If I want to use it as a potting soil, how can I de-acidify it?

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 09-05-2004, 08:02 PM
zxcvbob

Alan Sung wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

Just add a little lime. If none available then cement would serve as well

would have thought.
Brian.

Lime takes a long time to work. I would try wood ash if you are going to use
it for potting soil. Here is a product that I picked up at garden show but
haven't tried yet. It is called pH+Plus www.heartnsoil.com

Mason's lime (slaked lime) will work immediately.

I don't see being acid as a bad thing for potting soil; municipal water
is always alkaline and will neutralize the acid over time.

Bob
Old 09-05-2004, 10:02 PM
David Ross

barbie gee wrote:

I picked up a large bag of "garden soil" and only now see that it's
"acidy", for use around shrubs and the like.

If I want to use it as a potting soil, how can I de-acidify it?

If you are potting flowering plants, DO NOTHING! Most flowering
plants prefer an acidic soil. Exceptions include dianthus,
primula, and cactus.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from zxcvbob contains these words:

I don't see being acid as a bad thing for potting soil; municipal water
is always alkaline and will neutralize the acid over time.

Is that *always* true of municipal water in the USA? it isn't here in
the UK.

Janet.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:04 AM
zxcvbob

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from zxcvbob contains these words:

I don't see being acid as a bad thing for potting soil; municipal water
is always alkaline and will neutralize the acid over time.

Is that *always* true of municipal water in the USA? it isn't here in
the UK.

Janet.

There are probably some exceptions somewhere, but yes. If the natural
water supply is acidic they will increase the pH at the treatment plant
to keep lead from leaching into the water from old pipes.

Bob
Old 10-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Pam - gardengal

"David Ross" wrote in message
barbie gee wrote:

I picked up a large bag of "garden soil" and only now see that it's
"acidy", for use around shrubs and the like.

If I want to use it as a potting soil, how can I de-acidify it?

If you are potting flowering plants, DO NOTHING! Most flowering
plants prefer an acidic soil. Exceptions include dianthus,
primula, and cactus.

Thank you, David. After scrolling down the responses, I was afraid all were
going to overlook this most basic of all points, that most flowering plants
(and a good many broadleaf evergreens) prefer, or at the very least will
tolerate, acidic soils. I'd also have to question exactly what type of
"garden soil " the OP is using - potting soils generally contain very
little in the way of actual soil. It is too heavy and not free draining
enough to be very suitable for container plantings. They might want to look
into lightening things up a bit with the addition of sand or perlite.

btw, I'd also contend that most primulas prefer soils in the pH range of
5.5 to 6.5 - certainly on the acidic side. Generally, plants which orginate
as woodland or shade plants and those preferring moist conditions also tend
to prefer soils on the acidic side.

pam - gardengal