Old 09-05-2004, 05:02 PM
sandy

Default Crows

I have allot of crows in my garden, is there a good way to keep them away?
Sandy

Old 09-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 09 May 2004 08:58:57 -0700, sandy wrote:

I have allot of crows in my garden, is there a good way to keep them
away? Sandy

I've used flash tape to keep the birds out:
http://www.biconet.com/birds/flashTape.html Some people like to use
aluminum pie pans hanging from trees or stakes. These work best where they
can spin from the wind and bump in to each other to make noise (imho).
I've used aol cd's and bad burnt cd's (coasters) in apple trees to help
scare away the birds. A large rubber snake or a plastic owl works great
also. You could always build a scarecrow. If your into buying garden toys,
you could try this:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...urrency=2&SID=
Just make sure you have your video camera around to film the fun....
Good luck.

Old 09-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Michelle

they are smart only two sure ways
bibi gun or a hawk don't have a hawk oh well it's off to the sporting
goods store. Assumeing they are leagal where you are.
I have a pare of hawks no crows in sight for long where I live.
Not kidding

Old 09-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Michelle

these ideas are good but you have to move the snake and owls around
convincingly crows are very smart so smart in fact they can learn to
make and use tools to get food a scare crow works for about two days
then they get wise A barn cat would work better. the snake and the
owl are the best idea just move them every couple of days. and the
cds only bother them for a while a week or so until they get wise to
it.
good luck I used to have a crow as a pet and they are danm tricky
little suckers.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:02 PM
escapee

such a delightful person

On Sun, 09 May 2004 14:55:53 -0400, Michelle opined:

Old 10-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Fito

"escapee" wrote in message
such a delightful person

A joy, huh?

Old 10-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Vox Humana

"Michelle" wrote in message
they are smart only two sure ways
bibi gun or a hawk don't have a hawk oh well it's off to the sporting
goods store. Assumeing they are leagal where you are.
I have a pare of hawks no crows in sight for long where I live.
Not kidding

We have owls, hawk, and crows.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:02 PM
dps

sandy wrote:
I have allot of crows in my garden, is there a good way to keep them away?
Sandy

In the spring, the crows will eat grubs, which will help your garden.
Once you seed things, they will also pull up the tender seedlings and
eat the roots, which won't help your garden. Late in the summer, they
will peck at fruit to get water.

I run monofilament fishing line over my crops. I use the fluorescent
blue stuff, 8 lb test (not really important), about 3 ft high in
parallel rows about 4-5 ft apart covering the crop and extending about
2-3 feet past the crop. The crows can see that there's something there
but their eyesight isn't good enough to see just what or where it is and
they don't want anything above them. Last year I lost my first two
zucchini plantings until I did this. The monofilament is cheap and
readily available. Once the plants are more than 3" high the crows don't
seem to be interested in them and you can remove the line. Since the
lines are parallel, you can walk between them for weeding if you have to.

I tried the inflatable owls and snakes and eye balloons, but this works
better.

[IMG] code is On

Crows Shadow Gardening 5 03-03-2003 02:39 PM
Crows eradicated in DC, Paghat debunked animaux Gardening 32 29-01-2003 06:01 PM
Crows eradicated - IntarsiaCo NewsUser Gardening 1 28-01-2003 07:37 PM
Crows eradicated in DC, Paghat debunked IntarsiaCo Gardening 2 28-01-2003 05:57 PM
Crows eradicated in DC paghat Gardening 1 28-01-2003 03:51 AM