Old 11-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Creature

Default What's up with my cactus?

Hi everybody,

I'm really not that green-fingered but I have recently been given a cactus
and am anxious not to kill it (not least because I'm told it's quite
difficult to). So I brought my cactus home, stuck it on my windowsill, and
a few days later I noticed it has some brown discolouration on the side
facing the light. I swivelled it around, and when I went to water it
yesterday the side that was facing the window was a rather nice green. I
don't think it was the light that harmed it, but the weather's been a bit
more overcast lately so perhaps that protected it. Anyway, what have I
done to this poor cactus?

There's a picture of it he http://19b.mine.nu:8012/cactus.jpg

Pointers on what kind of cactus I've got, how often I should water it
(I've been giving it some once a week), and other such cactus care tips
would be gratefully recieved too.

Thanks,

--
Alex Pounds (Creature) .~. Website working group chair
CS2 Student /V\ Socfed committee member
Old 11-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:02:59 +0000 (UTC), Creature
wrote:

[...]

You are probably over-watering the plant which is the fastest way to
kill a cactus, especially without sunlight. Do not fertilize at this
time.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:12 AM
Creature

wrote:
I'm really not that green-fingered but I have recently been given a cactus
and am anxious not to kill it (not least because I'm told it's quite
difficult to).
There's a picture of it he http://19b.mine.nu:8012/cactus.jpg

You are probably over-watering the plant which is the fastest way to
kill a cactus, especially without sunlight.

After my watering yesterday it's certainly looking a lot less healthy
today, so I shall not water it for a while and see if it improves. How
often should I be watering it?

Thanks,

Old 12-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Salty Thumb

Creature wrote in :

[...]

don't know what's wrong with the cactus, but it looks like the pot is
leaking a human head.