Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 AM
philosopher

Default looking for advice re mugho pine variety

Hi All--

I saw the most beautiful mugho pine today & wondered whether anyone either
knew the variety or could refer me to an expert who could help. It was a
large, low-set (3'), spreading variety, with almost a rambling habit. The
most striking feature was its jet black branches--they contrasted
beautifully with the needles. I may be mistaken, but there were also
beautiful red cones.

Please reply to the group; my email addy is non-functioning.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

philosopher

Old 13-05-2004, 03:02 AM
philosopher

Could it have been a dwarf Austrian pine? I swear the branches were black
as can be--strikingly different from the typical mugho pine. The cones were
reddish and diamond-shaped. I really want to get a hold of this cultivar.
Any help? Thanks! philosopher

Old 20-05-2004, 08:02 PM
eclectic

"philosopher" wrote in message
Hi All--

I saw the most beautiful mugho pine today & wondered whether anyone either
knew the variety or could refer me to an expert who could help. It was a
large, low-set (3'), spreading variety, with almost a rambling habit. The
most striking feature was its jet black branches--they contrasted
beautifully with the needles. I may be mistaken, but there were also
beautiful red cones.

Please reply to the group; my email addy is non-functioning.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is it possible that you saw Pinus thunbergii (Japanese Black Pine). Like
mugho pines, these are two leaved, and can look similar if consistently
pruned - no red cones though. One of the more compact forms is
Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead':

http://www.iseli-nursery.com/photopa...hunderhead.htm

Regards.

Old 20-05-2004, 11:04 PM
eclectic

I saw the most beautiful mugho pine today & wondered whether anyone either
knew the variety or could refer me to an expert who could help. It was a
large, low-set (3'), spreading variety, with almost a rambling habit. The
most striking feature was its jet black branches--they contrasted
beautifully with the needles. I may be mistaken, but there were also
beautiful red cones.

Please reply to the group; my email addy is non-functioning.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is it possible that you saw Pinus thunbergii (Japanese Black Pine). Like
mugho pines, these are two leaved, and can look similar if consistently
pruned - no red cones though. One of the more compact forms is
Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead':

http://www.iseli-nursery.com/photopa...hunderhead.htm

Regards.

Sorry. Even if those with dark-grey branches were wet, they wouldn't be
"jet black" would they?

Old 22-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"philosopher" in
:

Hi All--

I saw the most beautiful mugho pine today & wondered whether anyone
either knew the variety or could refer me to an expert who could help.
It was a large, low-set (3'), spreading variety, with almost a
rambling habit. The most striking feature was its jet black
branches--

sounds very distintive. thre are zillions of dwarfed conifers. maybe you
could ask the owner for info? (and report back here? )

they contrasted beautifully with the needles. I may be
mistaken, but there were also beautiful red cones.

Please reply to the group; my email addy is non-functioning.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

philosopher

[IMG] code is On

overgrown mugho pine United Kingdom 0 18-04-2004 01:55 AM
overgrown mugho pine United Kingdom 0 18-04-2004 12:54 AM
[IBC] mugho pine question Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 10-03-2003 02:20 PM
mugho pine question akrummel Bonsai 0 09-03-2003 06:33 PM
when to pot mugho pine? others? akrummel Bonsai 0 08-03-2003 03:34 PM