Old 12-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Ignoramus20355

Default How often and how much to water newly planted trees and bushes

We recently planted the following

- Apricot tree 5 feet tall
- Apple tree 5 feet tall, 5 sorts of apples
- Two Cherry trees 5 feet tall.
- Two Black currant bushes 10-20" tall
- One Red currant bush 10" tall

My question is, how often and how much water do these newly planted
plants need.

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Old 12-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Babberney

On 12 May 2004 15:29:12 GMT, Ignoramus20355
wrote:

We recently planted the following

- Apricot tree 5 feet tall
- Apple tree 5 feet tall, 5 sorts of apples
- Two Cherry trees 5 feet tall.
- Two Black currant bushes 10-20" tall
- One Red currant bush 10" tall

My question is, how often and how much water do these newly planted
plants need.

Enough, but not too much . . .
Seriously, you have to allow for soil type and local climate. You'll
just have to dig down a couple of inches to see if the soil is moist
or not. New transplants need small amounts of water frequently, as
the water tends to drain right past the roots into surrounding soil.
As the trees send roots into the native soil, you should taper off in
frequency, but water a wider area and more deeply. . Remember that,
once established, tree roots are focused in the top 12-24 inches of
soil and extend outward 2-3 times the height of the tree.

For more info, see www.treesaregood.com

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 13-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Allview

I just had 2 trees planted last Thursday. The manager of the garden center who
planted them for me said that they need 1" of water per week. He said to stick
a trowel in the outer perimeter of the hole and see if it is dry.

In Ohio we've been having a short but heavy rain every p.m. so I imagine that
is great for trees starting out. I got a service berry and a Sargent
crabapple. I'm very interested in your red currant bush. I'll have to look up
it's requirements.

Marilyn
Old 13-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Ignoramus27444

In article , Allview wrote:
I just had 2 trees planted last Thursday. The manager of the garden center who
planted them for me said that they need 1" of water per week. He said to stick
a trowel in the outer perimeter of the hole and see if it is dry.

In Ohio we've been having a short but heavy rain every p.m. so I imagine that
is great for trees starting out. I got a service berry and a Sargent
crabapple. I'm very interested in your red currant bush. I'll have to look up
it's requirements.

black and red currants are very good because they contain pectin, so
if you puree them, they become jelly-ilke.