Old 20-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Guglielmo Portas

Default elephant ears question

Hi all,

Last summer I picked up some "Black Magic" Colocasia. They did well
until October/November. I dug them up and stored them in the basement
until a few weeks ago when I stuck them back in the ground. I thought
they needed the bulbs stored indoors over the winter (I'm in Chicago).
They're growing just fine now.

My question is: if these are related to the elephant ears that grow
perennially like ditch weeds, do I need to winter them again? Whilst
replanting them, I looked around and saw all the green, "wild"
elephant ears sprouting up everywhere in full glory. Hmmm...

TIA
Old 20-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Vox Humana

"Guglielmo Portas" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

Last summer I picked up some "Black Magic" Colocasia. They did well
until October/November. I dug them up and stored them in the basement
until a few weeks ago when I stuck them back in the ground. I thought
they needed the bulbs stored indoors over the winter (I'm in Chicago).
They're growing just fine now.

My question is: if these are related to the elephant ears that grow
perennially like ditch weeds, do I need to winter them again? Whilst
replanting them, I looked around and saw all the green, "wild"
elephant ears sprouting up everywhere in full glory. Hmmm...

As far as I know, colocasias are all tropical related to caladiums. They
are not cold tolerant and must be lifted in areas where there is frost. I
have never seen any wild elephant ears in the Midwest. Are you confusing
these with daylilies, sometimes called "ditch lilies?"

Old 20-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Cereus-validus

There are no "Elephant Ears" that grow like ditch weeds around Chicago. None
of the Colocasia are cold hardy.

Could you be alluding to "Skunk Cabbage"?

Old 20-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Myrmecodia

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message ...
There are no "Elephant Ears" that grow like ditch weeds around Chicago. None
of the Colocasia are cold hardy.

Could you be alluding to "Skunk Cabbage"?

or perhaps Sagittaria?
Old 21-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Dorothy

Cereus-validus wrote:

There are no "Elephant Ears" that grow like ditch weeds around Chicago. None
of the Colocasia are cold hardy.
*

I live 25 miles outside Chicago and can show you Elephant Ears in hedgerows,
in roadside ditches, and in the scrub at the back of my lot.
They're found in vacant lots all over the city* -** i grew up there.

They grow about the size of established rhubarb clumps and will produce
a burdock like seed pod if left unmolested.* The leaves are even larger than
rhubarb and could never be mistaken for tiger lilies.

Don't know anyone who cultivates them as ornamentals tho.
Mostly* -* they get rooted out on sight.
*
*
*
*

Old 21-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 20 May 2004 17:08:04 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

There are no "Elephant Ears" that grow like ditch weeds around Chicago. None
of the Colocasia are cold hardy.

How come "Elephant Ears" are supposed to be poisonous, and taro
(Colocasia esculenta) is a food crop?

Old 21-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Guglielmo Portas

burdock- that's it
http://members.cox.net/vmonte/burdock-yardstick.jpg

[IMG] code is On

Elephant Ears Road Runner Gardening 5 17-02-2005 04:36 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 5 15-06-2003 03:08 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 0 27-05-2003 08:32 AM
elephant ears TakeThisOut Gardening 3 07-04-2003 06:20 PM
Elephant Ears TakeThisOut Gardening 23 14-03-2003 01:20 AM