Old 09-06-2004, 02:54 AM
Paulo

Default Hydrangea

What kind of soil is better for them?

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring.
I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce
blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time

of
year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to

shape.
Hope it helps you. Good luck !

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?

I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced,

then
finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a

nice
shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.

Lisa

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ben!

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly

shade.
One
large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It

thrives
there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also

require
good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you

:
they
will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck !

Ben.

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Ben, I am in Toronto and i was planning to get some. Do they

need
full
sun? I have a Linden tree....could them be plant close to that
tree....(around 3' from it)

Thanks

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Angie,
The blooms of the Hydrangea are quite large. If the stems they

are
sitting
on are not too strong they may bend down. Rain too, might make

the
blooms
heavy, with the same result. We have several in our yard, and

they
get
quite
bushy. We live in Ontario, and they are just starting to mature.

Later
on
in
the season when they are in bloom, I usually end up supporting

them.
Anyway
good luck ! It's a beautiful plant and they continue to bloom to

well
into
fall. Consider the dried out flowers for indoor decor after the

season
is
over.
Ben.

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I haven't had much experience with Hydrangea, but I bought a

big
beautiful
1
gallon size plant at Lowe's 2 weeks ago. I've got it planted

and
it's
thriving. My question is:

when I got it, the balls of blooms were standing straight up,

but
now
they
are branching outward and some are lying on ground level. Is

this
the
way
they are supposed to grow? I noticed at the nursery that all

the
others
are
doing the same thing. I know they eventually turn into a nice

sized
bush,
so
maybe this is a natural occurence?

Thanks
Angie

Old 09-06-2004, 04:51 AM
Paulo

What kind of soil is better for them?

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring.
I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce
blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time

of
year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to

shape.
Hope it helps you. Good luck !

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?

I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced,

then
finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a

nice
shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.

Lisa

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ben!

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly

shade.
One
large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It

thrives
there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also

require
good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you

:
they
will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck !

Ben.

. ..

Old 09-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Paulo

What kind of soil is better for them?

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring.
I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce
blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time

of
year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to

shape.
Hope it helps you. Good luck !

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?

I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced,

then
finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a

nice
shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.

Lisa

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ben!

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly

shade.
One
large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It

thrives
there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also

require
good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you

:
they
will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck !

Ben.

. ..

Old 09-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Paulo

What kind of soil is better for them?

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring.
I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce
blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time

of
year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to

shape.
Hope it helps you. Good luck !

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?

I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced,

then
finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a

nice
shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.

Lisa

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ben!

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly

shade.
One
large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It

thrives
there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also

require
good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you

:
they
will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck !

Ben.

. ..

Old 09-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Paulo

What kind of soil is better for them?

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring.
I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce
blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time

of
year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to

shape.
Hope it helps you. Good luck !

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?

I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced,

then
finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a

nice
shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.

Lisa

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ben!

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly

shade.
One
large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It

thrives
there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also

require
good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you

:
they
will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck !

Ben.

. ..

Old 09-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Paulo

What kind of soil is better for them?

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring.
I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce
blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time

of
year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to

shape.
Hope it helps you. Good luck !

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?

I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced,

then
finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a

nice
shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.

Lisa

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ben!

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly

shade.
One
large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It

thrives
there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also

require
good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you

:
they
will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck !

Ben.

. ..

Old 09-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Paulo

What kind of soil is better for them?

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring.
I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce
blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time

of
year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to

shape.
Hope it helps you. Good luck !

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?

I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced,

then
finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a

nice
shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.

Lisa

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ben!

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly

shade.
One
large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It

thrives
there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also

require
good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you

:
they
will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck !

Ben.

. ..

Old 09-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Paulo

What kind of soil is better for them?

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring.
I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce
blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time

of
year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to

shape.
Hope it helps you. Good luck !

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?

I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced,

then
finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a

nice
shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.

Lisa

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Ben!

--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
. ..
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly

shade.
One
large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It

thrives
there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also

require
good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you

:
they
will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck !

Ben.

"Paulo" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Hydrangea mop head blue Rich United Kingdom 4 07-11-2003 01:23 AM
hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM
Hydrangea - No Flowers Alan Terry United Kingdom 8 22-10-2002 05:45 PM