Old 19-10-2002, 08:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Hydrangea - No Flowers

In article ,
Alan Terry wrote:
In article , Tony tony-
writes
For the 2nd year running, my hydrangea has not flowered.

This is a big improvement on most I have seen ;o)

Does anyone else here hate hydrangeas as much as I do?

Most of the versions I see the flowers are a mess and the foliage is
ugly [though I don't find the single coloured pale blue ones so bad!].

Everyone to their own, of course, but is anyone one my side on this?

As usual, I am on neither side! Hydrangeas in the East are loathesome,
I agree. In the West, they can be lovely. Of course, they really
are suited only to the Cornish great houses, where you can see masses
of them from 50 yards away.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 19-10-2002, 09:11 PM
Sue

"Alan Terry" wrote
Does anyone else here hate hydrangeas as much as I do?

Most of the versions I see the flowers are a mess and the foliage is
ugly [though I don't find the single coloured pale blue ones so bad!].

Everyone to their own, of course, but is anyone one my side on this?

I don't like the mophead sort much, they seem rather vulgar looking
somehow, but I like lacecap types.

Sue

Old 20-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:35:55 +0100, Alan Terry
wrote:

In article , Tony tony-
writes
For the 2nd year running, my hydrangea has not flowered.

This is a big improvement on most I have seen ;o)

Does anyone else here hate hydrangeas as much as I do?

Most of the versions I see the flowers are a mess and the foliage is
ugly [though I don't find the single coloured pale blue ones so bad!].

Everyone to their own, of course, but is anyone one my side on this?

Yes, me. For some peculiar and no-doubt Freudian reason, they make me
think of those very large waitresses in mop hats that you see at
places like the Munich beer festival, carrying five huge glasses of
foaming lager in each hand supported on their ample bosoms............

Oh yes; hydrangeas. Dug out about a dozen big ones from our garden
over the last two years. One bit of root that I missed still keeps
putting up suckers. I didn't know they did that! That particular plant
had huge off-white heads, many over 15 inches across. Very
Bier-Keller!
--
Chris
De-* virgin for e-mail reply
Old 21-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Dave

Chris Hogg writes

Yes, me. For some peculiar and no-doubt Freudian reason, they make me
think of those very large waitresses in mop hats that you see at
places like the Munich beer festival, carrying five huge glasses of
foaming lager in each hand supported on their ample bosoms............

Its a very efficient way of carrying several 'masses' of bier :-) Added
to which the head on each acts as a damper and stops it sloshing about.
I shall never forget standing on the benches with another 5,000 people
and drinking 'ein prosit' in time with the umpah band... amazing. And so
civilised. Where else could you get 150,000 people drinking for 10 hours
a day for 16 days in a row, with a huge travelling circus? And
'bouncers' collecting those who can't take any more and laying them out
on the sloping banks of the lawn until they have recovered, and can go
back and carry on drinking...

Oh yes; hydrangeas. Dug out about a dozen big ones from our garden
over the last two years. One bit of root that I missed still keeps
putting up suckers. I didn't know they did that! That particular plant
had huge off-white heads, many over 15 inches across. Very
Bier-Keller!

But why are these not good in the East but OK in the West?? Having taken
over nothing but a large vacant grassy patch as my main garden, I was
very pleased this weekend to be offered nine pink hydrangeas which were
unwanted and suffering in chalky soil. 5 are now replanted on the edge
of the main garden over some iron horseshoes which will hopefully make
them go blue, and the other four are usefully filling gaps in vegetation
elsewhere on the boundary.

--
David

Old 22-10-2002, 02:43 PM
cormaic

'Twas Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:57:14 +0100, when Victoria Clare
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

Yes, I hate 'em. Though I must admit to having a great pink-headed mophead
in the front garden: I've cut it down to ground level every year since we
moved in and the damn thing still flowers: I can't stop it. Will probably
have to bite the bullet and actually dig it up at some point but was hoping
not to have to as the soil is pretty much stones with dirt in round there.

I had a couple of the lads who worked for me dig out the
hydrangea m in the front bed between me and Bert-next-door. In the
process, they snapped a spade and resorted to using a 2m crowbar to
lever the bugger out. The roots system is a fibrous mat of roots that
literally hugs the soil.
If I had to do it again, I'd bring in the JCB!

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 22-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Victoria Clare

cormaic wrote in
:

'Twas Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:57:14 +0100, when Victoria Clare
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

Yes, I hate 'em. Though I must admit to having a great pink-headed
mophead in the front garden: I've cut it down to ground level every
year since we moved in and the damn thing still flowers: I can't stop
it. Will probably have to bite the bullet and actually dig it up at
some point but was hoping not to have to as the soil is pretty much
stones with dirt in round there.

The roots system is a fibrous mat of roots that
literally hugs the soil.
If I had to do it again, I'd bring in the JCB!

Oh *no*!

Damn, I'll just have to learn to live with the thing. At least the green
stems compost well.

Victoria