Old 31-05-2004, 05:03 PM
The Data Rat

Default dirty yard

My yard smells. It is heavy clay and when it rains, it holds moisture and
turns green with either algae or mold. (I have had 2 loads of top soil
brought in, tilled it and amended it per the dept. of agriculture. It
always started out great, then turns back to clay. Overall, I have spent
about 3K on the back yard)

Oddly enough, where it smells the worst is in an area that gets full sun to
bright shade all day. The yard is graded correctly, it slopes down, away
from the house. I do not have any trees in the yard, but there are very
tall pine tree's behind the yard.

My question is what can I put on it to neutralize the smell?
I am getting ready to deck the remaining yard in so I don't care if it kills
the grass, (what little there is). I also have 2 dogs and the smell of
urine stays forever. Baking soda doesn't work and I have actually tried
Febreeze. It's just a rank smell.

Thanks!

Suzi

Old 31-05-2004, 09:06 PM

any chance there is sewage perking up thru the clay??? it couldnt be an old drain
field? has anyone added gypsum to the clay to break it up?
bad smell in a pond is always due to anaerobic fermentation. if the soil is aerated
it wont stink. I use plain old dish soap to wash our dogs urine off the concrete and
frankly, it works better than anything else I have tried. I put a big squirt of joy
lemon into about a gallon sized open bucket and slosh that around. I do fence my
itty bitty backyard so the mutts cant just go anywhere they please.
urine is like ammonia, need an acid to neutralize it, altho like I said joy dish soap
works. Ingrid

"The Data Rat" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 31-05-2004, 11:04 PM
David J Bockman

May I ask, where do you live? It's possible your yard contains 'Marine
Clay', an especially noxious form of clay that can, when saturated, cause
anaerobic decomposition of any organics within the soil structure. This
decomposition without oxygen causes really bad smells as all sorts of alkyds
and even alcohols are produced.

If you tell us where you live perhaps we can look at soil maps of your area.

Dave

Old 01-06-2004, 04:02 AM
The Data Rat

Thanks,

I live in a 30 year old city development that was woods before the houses
were built. There never was a septic tank. 3 years ago, I took samples to
the local dept. of agriculture and added gypsum, sifted top soil, sand, peat
moss, and perlite just as I was told to. This cost a freaking fortune
because I had to take down a tree, my privacy fence so the excavating
equipment could get back there to remove several dump truck loads of the
clay and dump in the amended soil. I had a great yard for a year...then the
clay came back. I have tilled it every year and added more gypsum since
then and it is a waste.

As I said, I have decked half the yard and am getting ready to deck all but
a 10 x 10 area for the dogs. My neighbor showed me where the sewage lines
are and there are none in the back yard. They run from the front side of
the house to the front. But, I think you are right about the anaerobic
fermentation. As someone asked about my post, it is a swampy mucky smell.
Trouble is, I have done everything to aerate but .
the clay seems to rise to the top.

No that you mention Joy dish soap, I did use it in hose end sprayer one year
and it worked. That's what I will do tomorrow!

Thanks everyone! I feel so much better getting some suggestions. My
neighbor put in an in ground pool and his yard is all concrete. Maybe I
should open a pottery studio since I have the clay!

"The Data Rat" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 01-06-2004, 04:03 AM
The Data Rat

Hmmm...that sounds like my clay, NOXIOUS! Like someone else asked, it is a
mucky smell, not a sewer type smell. That would also explain why it got
worse after I added the peat moss, gypsum and other organic material. What
do you do about this? It is bluish gray, slippery and slimy when wet, dries
hard a brick and cracks when it is dry.

I live in Virginia Beach, VA at the very edge of the swamp. Even though I
am 7 miles from the ocean, there is absolutely no sand, Incidentally, last
year I bought 50 pounds of three different types of earth worms to keep the
soil aerated. I guess they are just more organic fodder for my clay.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:42:35 -0400, The Data Rat wrote:
My yard smells. It is heavy clay and when it rains, it holds moisture and

Sounds like you've either got an old septic field that's perc-ing up
through your soil, or an anaerobic sediment. Call your state agricultural
college and see if someone in the soils department might be willing to
look at a sample, and your local extension service office to see if
they've got your property on a soils map.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:03 AM
May Day

[...]

The problem is your neighbor's yard. Think of it this way, you fixed your
yard, removed much of the clay, but, all the land around you hasn't changed,
so there is an impermiable layer of clay all around your yard. Your yard is
now a giant bowl, holding a lot of water, just under the surface.

If you can drain the sub-surface water, the smell will go away.

dig a test hole to see how much water collects in it over a 24H period, how
many inches to the water. If you can get the water down to 5 feet below the
surface, (in a flat region, 3 feet on the side of a hill) that should take
care of it.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Janice

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:42:35 -0400, "The Data Rat"
wrote:

Any worms out there than you noticed in that clay ground? It sounds
like there is no drainage, and worms would create lots of holes for
water to percolate down into the ground, but a lot of places have
nothing for the worms to eat.. no organic matter, and it sounds like
with no leaves and sounds like it must be bare or close to it ..are
there any plants that develop tap roots? something needs to open that
soil up for it to drain properly. Soil acid? before you put more top
soil on it. If you had room to bring in all that soil, was it a new
construction with the icky clay subsoil left after they scraped off
the top soil? Otherwise, how did you have room to add truckloads of
more soil?

Yes as others asked, need to have some idea of what part of the
country you're in. No, don't need your address ;-)

Janice

Old 01-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Janice

"The Data Rat" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Perchance does the ground need drained? Does it actually stay soggy?
Or just stinky?

Is there any chance you could be in anything like a "Love Canal" like
area? Yeah I know you said there were woods there, but what kind of
woods? How far are you from a substantial body of water, canal, lake,
ocean?? What kind of trees where there... if you know?

Janice
Old 01-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Janice

On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:22:45 -0400, "The Data Rat"
wrote:

Hmmm...that sounds like my clay, NOXIOUS! Like someone else asked, it is a
mucky smell, not a sewer type smell. That would also explain why it got
worse after I added the peat moss, gypsum and other organic material. What
do you do about this? It is bluish gray, slippery and slimy when wet, dries
hard a brick and cracks when it is dry.

I live in Virginia Beach, VA at the very edge of the swamp. Even though I
am 7 miles from the ocean, there is absolutely no sand, Incidentally, last
year I bought 50 pounds of three different types of earth worms to keep the
soil aerated. I guess they are just more organic fodder for my clay.

Ah HA!!! at the edge of the Swamp!!! yep clay, ground is too wet..
should have spent money putting up a sealed concrete bunker with one
way valves for moisture to go OUT not IN.

You're on swamp ground ..that's been "reclaimed".. sort of. Dry on
top, wet underneath. Sounds like you need some way of "draining" the
soil, but the only way I know of doing that is for them to dig drain
ditches, but if you're at the edge of a swamp the ditches would just
fill up while they were digging them. I don't know if you have any
kind of a sump, doubt you have a basement, but about all you can do is
try to find things that will grow there that will utilize that type of
soil. Willows, Mangroves wouldn't grow without brackish water I
imagine, but .. have you talked to your County Extension agent..
master gardener.. or better.. see if you can talk to the actual agent
if at all possible to see if he/she knows about your area or knows
anyone else that has experience with that area. If the ground is
basically water logged clay there is going to be precious little that
can live in it except bog plants and the stuff that's living over
there in the swamp, might be time to look around there and see if
there are things you like. Get some pitcher plants and sundew! Find
any plants that could grow there, the more you get growing the more
moisture it can wick up out of the soil, the more it'll "sweeten" the
soil.

Good Luck!!

Janice

. ..

Old 01-06-2004, 05:03 PM
nswong

Hi,

"The Data Rat" wrote in message
newsFRuc.10909$Tw.6200@lakeread06...

[Message Start]

[...]

[Message End]

I facing the same problem as you before.

I got a land at the river side, surrounded by wetland. Water from
wetland pass through below my land to the river.

I dig a 4' wide, 3' deep diversion drain around my whole land and
connected to the river to intercept water coming all around from
wetland. This solve the problem.

Now there is some one feet long common snakehead(channa striata) in
the diversion drain I dig(with backhoe), I'm thinking of doing some
fishing when free. g

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 01-06-2004, 06:02 PM

wowow... after spending all that money for additives. you need to get somebody in
there can tell you if there is any way to drain the area or if it is just going to
keep coming and coming and coming. I mean all that nice stuff worked in. sheesh
OTOH. http://puregold.aquaria.net/landscape/gravel/gravel.htm
my back yard is 25' x 25' and it is low too. not that greasy stuff it is actually
well drained. But if it was me I would start by putting down impermeable later of
something like permalon or epdm and use gravel instead of grass on top of it. That
will stop the stink AND water will drain off the gravel (as long as it is sloped at
all) then build your garden UP with boxes over areas that dont have plastic. that
way everything gets dry soil on top and can put their roots down into wet (I would go
for plants dont mind wet feet).
soon I will update my backyard pictures cause it is like a jungle back there now.
Ingrid

Janice wrote:
Ah HA!!! at the edge of the Swamp!!!
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 02-06-2004, 12:06 AM
gregpresley

If you are in the Hampton Roads area, the water table is just under the
soil - anywhere from one foot to maybe 6 feet in most of the more low-lying
areas. This is why you don't find very many basements there. (They would be
weeping water year round). I think you pretty much have to accept that the
soil will remain somewhat saturated all the time except in exceptional
drought years - which means that you won't get the mix of air into the soil
that would lighten it up and fix the smell problem. I think your best bet,
short of moving, would be to plant the kind of things that are native to
swampy parts of that area - in particular, sweet bay magnolia, which is a
beautiful tree, and perhaps bald cypress. Their roots MIGHT open up the soil
enough to ameliorate some of the problem - but no guarantees.
[...]

[IMG] code is On

dirty potatoes store better than clean? Comments on 2002 harvest Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 01:22 PM
Seachem Flourite dirty water? Peter Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM
What To Do With Dirty Weeds Pinot Grigio United Kingdom 21 20-04-2003 01:08 AM
dirty water Mark woolf Ponds 0 25-03-2003 07:08 PM
Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts John Towill United Kingdom 10 17-12-2002 08:36 PM