Old 14-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Pinot Grigio

Default What To Do With Dirty Weeds

What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type that if they
go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply and spread elsewhere when
the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly rubbish
collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with a change in
rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds don't break down when
buried in landfill sites.
I believe there are compost bins that turn out a liquid fertilizer. Would
one of these work for problem weeds?

Old 14-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Mike

In article , Pinot Grigio
writes
What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type that if they
go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply and spread elsewhere when
the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly rubbish
collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with a change in
rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds don't break down when
buried in landfill sites.
I believe there are compost bins that turn out a liquid fertilizer. Would
one of these work for problem weeds?

Ours go into the bottom of Safeway bags with the tops tied up and into
the bottom of the Black Sacks for collection with the 'Household'
rubbish on a Monday morning.

We have no 'Dirty Weeds' as I speak at the moment :-))

Well bless my soul, today is Monday :-))))))))

Mike and Joan

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 14-04-2003, 06:44 PM
swroot

Pinot Grigio wrote:

What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type that if they
go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply and spread elsewhere when
the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly rubbish
collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with a change in
rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds don't break down when
buried in landfill sites.

I lay odds they do, unless the site is anaerobic in which case they'll
still be dead but preserved for future generations to ponder.

I believe there are compost bins that turn out a liquid fertilizer. Would
one of these work for problem weeds?

Don't know. If possible I leave bindweed roots on the patio/path until
the sun bakes them dry (usually by the end of the day; I don't do
serious weeding in the rain) and then compost them as usual.

If I can't do that, or it's something with seeds, then the weeds are
stored in a lidded bin/in the garage until I remember I'll be passing
the tip, at which point I add them to the 'green waste' compacter. In
this county green waste is either roughly composted, then spread on
fields farmed using glyphosate (they don't have to worry about problem
weeds) or processed using anaerobic digestion.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
Old 14-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard swroot say...
If I can't do that, or it's something with seeds, then the weeds are
stored in a lidded bin/in the garage until I remember I'll be passing
the tip, at which point I add them to the 'green waste' compacter. In
this county green waste is either roughly composted, then spread on
fields farmed using glyphosate (they don't have to worry about problem
weeds) or processed using anaerobic digestion.

In Northamptonshire, we have wheelie bins for garden waste & compost.
However, they recently sent us a note to say:

"Following the foot and mouth epidemic, legal changes have been made to
the Animal By-products Order. This restricts the types of waste that
can be composted in the open air. As a result, vegetable peelings,
fruit, salad, tea bags, stale bread and eggshells that would normally be
put in the brown bin along with garden waste and cardboard can no longer
be included."

I don;t understand how that list has anything to do with animal by-
products. We are told that we are allowed to continue to put them on
our own compost heaps, but if we throw them away, they go in the black
bin with all the non recyclable stuff.
--
Fenny
If anyone ever tries to tell you nothing rhymes with orange, don't
Old 14-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
swroot wrote:
Pinot Grigio wrote:

What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type that if they
go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply and spread elsewhere when
the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly rubbish
collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with a change in
rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds don't break down when
buried in landfill sites.

I lay odds they do, unless the site is anaerobic in which case they'll
still be dead but preserved for future generations to ponder.

Agreed.

I believe there are compost bins that turn out a liquid fertilizer. Would
one of these work for problem weeds?

Don't know. If possible I leave bindweed roots on the patio/path until
the sun bakes them dry (usually by the end of the day; I don't do
serious weeding in the rain) and then compost them as usual.

I just heave 'em on. Pretty well the only things that I avoid are
nettles that have been allowed to ripen their seed - and I don't let
them get that far!

Very, very few weeds will survive in a compost heap, though a fair
number will survive at the edges, and many of the tougher ripe seeds
will still be viable after composting. I compost lots of ground elder
and both kinds of bindweed, and they all just vanish.

If I can't do that, or it's something with seeds, then the weeds are
stored in a lidded bin/in the garage until I remember I'll be passing
the tip, at which point I add them to the 'green waste' compacter. In
this county green waste is either roughly composted, then spread on
fields farmed using glyphosate (they don't have to worry about problem
weeds) or processed using anaerobic digestion.

You can do that yourself, very easily, though the smell isn't attar
of roses :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Warwick Dumas

"Pinot Grigio" wrote in message
What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type that if

they
go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply and spread elsewhere

when
the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly rubbish
collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with a change in
rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds don't break down when
buried in landfill sites.
I believe there are compost bins that turn out a liquid fertilizer. Would
one of these work for problem weeds?

I used to put them all in a carrier bag and then put on the heap when
they've had long enough to die. (Obviously weed seeds have to be avoided!)
In present circumstances I normally just throw them all in their own heap,
then move them to the compost heap when they've had long enough to die.

Old 14-04-2003, 08:44 PM
ned

swroot wrote:
Pinot Grigio wrote:

What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type
that if they go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply
and spread elsewhere when the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly
rubbish collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with
a change in rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds
don't break down when buried in landfill sites.

Every council 'tip' that I have 'done business with' has a green
garden waste skip. If your normal refuse collection won't take it -
and ours won't, there is nothing to prevent you taking it to the
'tip'. Our 'local' tip is nine miles away and I'm happy to make that
journey. 'Did it twice last Thursday.

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.

Old 14-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Mike

In article , ned
writes
swroot wrote:
Pinot Grigio wrote:

What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type
that if they go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply
and spread elsewhere when the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly
rubbish collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with
a change in rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds
don't break down when buried in landfill sites.

Every council 'tip' that I have 'done business with' has a green
garden waste skip. If your normal refuse collection won't take it -
and ours won't, there is nothing to prevent you taking it to the
'tip'. Our 'local' tip is nine miles away and I'm happy to make that
journey. 'Did it twice last Thursday.

--

The tip on the Isle of Wight is nothing less than superb. A couple of
years ago the marshalling area was rebuilt. Reverse your car to any one

Anyone visiting the Island this year, come and visit our re cycling
area!!!!!

Mike

Old 14-04-2003, 09:56 PM
ned

Mike wrote:

The tip on the Isle of Wight is nothing less than superb. A couple
of years ago the marshalling area was rebuilt. Reverse your car to
any one of about 8 or 9 skips with notices on them. 'Metal',
'Paper', 'General Waste', 'Wood' etc etc. Carry on pass these
skips, which incidentally are below you so you drop the stuff in as
opposed to lifting it up over, and you come to an area for green
waste where they have a massive shredder!! They use a JCB with a
bucket to load the stuff and it chucks the shredded stuff up into
an open barn to a heap 20 - 25ft high!! Steams well!! And opposite
this are other skips for hard core. Been using this latter facility
a lot as no one wanted the hard core around my area. I was even
offered some this afternoon by a neighbour ;-{.

Anyone visiting the Island this year, come and visit our re cycling
area!!!!!

ROFL
Don't tell T'boo.
She wouldn't be able to resist another away-day.

Old 14-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Ophelia

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message news:b7evs9$

You can do that yourself, very easily, though the smell isn't attar
of roses :-)

Could you send me a wee drop for my garden. Godzilla at the bottom of my
garden hasn't complained for 4 days

Old 15-04-2003, 08:08 AM
swroot

Fenny k wrote:

[-]

In Northamptonshire, we have wheelie bins for garden waste & compost.
However, they recently sent us a note to say:

"Following the foot and mouth epidemic, legal changes have been made to
the Animal By-products Order. This restricts the types of waste that
can be composted in the open air. As a result, vegetable peelings,
fruit, salad, tea bags, stale bread and eggshells that would normally be
put in the brown bin along with garden waste and cardboard can no longer
be included."

I don;t understand how that list has anything to do with animal by-
products. We are told that we are allowed to continue to put them on
our own compost heaps, but if we throw them away, they go in the black
bin with all the non recyclable stuff.

The Order is quite specific. Anything that *might* have been in contact
with meat or meat products must not be left anywhere livestock (which
includes all wild animals such as rats and birds) can contact it. All
kitchen waste is classed as material that could have been in contact
with meat. I think they aren't prepared to try to stop us composting it
(although I lay odds they thought about it).

regards
sarah

Old 15-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , "Ophelia" writes:

| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message news:b7evs9$
|
| You can do that yourself, very easily, though the smell isn't attar
| of roses :-)
|
| Could you send me a wee drop for my garden. Godzilla at the bottom of my
| garden hasn't complained for 4 days

Take a bucket, fill it with weeds, cover them with water, and leave
for a month. No problem!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Ophelia

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article , "Ophelia"

writes:

| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message news:b7evs9$
|
| You can do that yourself, very easily, though the smell isn't attar
| of roses :-)
|
| Could you send me a wee drop for my garden. Godzilla at the bottom of

my
| garden hasn't complained for 4 days

Take a bucket, fill it with weeds, cover them with water, and leave
for a month. No problem!

grin.. thank you Nick.. I shall tell her who to thank )

Old 15-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Victoria Clare

"Pinot Grigio" wrote in
:

What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type that
if they go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply and spread
elsewhere when the compost goes back on the garden.

I usually hang them up till they are thoroughly dried out, then compost, or
bung on the bonfire if I am having one.

Nick's solution of drowning them also works if you have more to do. Tub
Trugs are good for that.

Victoria Clare
Old 15-04-2003, 10:32 AM
swroot

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
swroot wrote:
Pinot Grigio wrote:

What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type that if
they go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply and spread
elsewhere when the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly rubbish
collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with a change in
rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds don't break down
when buried in landfill sites.

I lay odds they do, unless the site is anaerobic in which case they'll
still be dead but preserved for future generations to ponder.

Agreed.

I rather like the thought of archaelogists millennia hence pondering the
ritual nature of our landfill sites.

I believe there are compost bins that turn out a liquid fertilizer.
Would one of these work for problem weeds?

Don't know. If possible I leave bindweed roots on the patio/path until
the sun bakes them dry (usually by the end of the day; I don't do
serious weeding in the rain) and then compost them as usual.

I just heave 'em on. Pretty well the only things that I avoid are
nettles that have been allowed to ripen their seed - and I don't let
them get that far!

Very, very few weeds will survive in a compost heap, though a fair
number will survive at the edges, and many of the tougher ripe seeds
will still be viable after composting. I compost lots of ground elder
and both kinds of bindweed, and they all just vanish.

I don't yet trust my composting skills :-)
Aren't you supposed to eat the Ground Elder?

If I can't do that, or it's something with seeds, then the weeds are
stored in a lidded bin/in the garage until I remember I'll be passing
the tip, at which point I add them to the 'green waste' compacter. In
this county green waste is either roughly composted, then spread on
fields farmed using glyphosate (they don't have to worry about problem
weeds) or processed using anaerobic digestion.

You can do that yourself, very easily, though the smell isn't attar
of roses :-)

Do tell... I thought it's very difficult to maintain the correct
bacterial fauna, conditions, etc?

regards
sarah