Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Roy Smith

Default Electric chippers?

I'm looking for an electric chipper. I've got a small yard (50 x 100
lot) and mostly need to turn trimmings from about 150 linear feet of
hedges into compostable material. Most of the woody stuff is under 1/2"
diameter, and I'm not too worried if I won't be able to handle anything
much bigger than that. The model I'm looking at is...

http://www.thecomposter.com/products...ies/index.html

Does anybody have one of these? Is it worth getting for my light-duty
needs? I figure the "chip limbs and branches up to 1.5" diameter" is
probably just some marketing guy's fantasy, but I'll be happy if it'll
handle half that without destroying itself.

I know most people say the gas powered ones are the way to go, but I'd
really rather have electric.

The other unit I see advertised a lot is

http://www.composters.com/docs/lawncare5.html

It's a lot more money, but the electric motor isn't any more powerful,
so I suspect it really doesn't do any better job.

All the motors on the electric ones I see seem to be designed to work on
a 20A 120V circuit, and that limits the power to about 1.5 HP. I've got
240V available outside, but nobody seems to make an electric unit that
takes advantage of that. It seems like if I want more power, I need to
get one of the gas powered ones.

[IMG] code is On

Chippers Staycalm Australia 3 09-02-2006 12:50 AM
Electric mowers [email protected] North Carolina 0 30-03-2003 05:08 PM
Electric in the garden' Jim W United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 06:32 AM