Old 01-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Fleemo

Default Help for Wilted Tomato Plants :(

My tomato plants had just started to flower, (Sungold and Early Girl)
and then BOOM! Now they've wilted with a strange twisted shape. (See
photos at http://www.inhouzemusic.com/z) I suspect some kind of
bacterial wilt. We had some rain the other day, and I understand water
splashing on soil and onto the leaves can carry the disease. I'm not
sure where the disease came from, as we had strawberries in this bed
for the past few years.

Sooo, my question is, where do I go from here? Are these plants
definitely gonners? Luckily, I have several backup plants still in
containers that look beautiful. Can I yank out the infected plants
and plant these in their place? The only other place I have for them
is in the same bed, the other half of a 4'x8' raised bed where I just
harvested the garlic. Is there some way to eliminate the disease or
reduce the plant's chances of getting infected again?

Thanks.

-Fleemo in Zone 9
Old 02-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 1 Jun 2004 10:57:47 -0700, Fleemo wrote:
My tomato plants had just started to flower, (Sungold and Early Girl)
and then BOOM! Now they've wilted with a strange twisted shape. (See
photos at http://www.inhouzemusic.com/z) I suspect some kind of
bacterial wilt. We had some rain the other day, and I understand water

Offhand, looks more like a virus or herbicide drift. Take a look he
http://home.earthlink.net/~shelly.johnson/tomato.html

And toss down some mulch... things tend to be happier when mulched.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Fleemo

Offhand, looks more like a virus or herbicide drift.

Oh my gosh, I did just put down some "Weed & Feed" fertilizer on my
lawn, which borders the vegetable beds. I wonder if some drifted onto
the tomatoes??? If that was the case, ya think they're gonners?

I guess my real question here is whether it'd be inadviseable to plant
more tomatoes in this same spot, adding mulch and being careful to
only water from beneath?

-F
Old 03-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Janice

On 1 Jun 2004 10:57:47 -0700, (Fleemo) wrote:

My tomato plants had just started to flower, (Sungold and Early Girl)
and then BOOM! Now they've wilted with a strange twisted shape. (See
photos at
http://www.inhouzemusic.com/z) I suspect some kind of
bacterial wilt. We had some rain the other day, and I understand water
splashing on soil and onto the leaves can carry the disease. I'm not
sure where the disease came from, as we had strawberries in this bed
for the past few years.

Not positive but think that berries my be susceptible to some of the
same "wilts" that tomatoes get. I know that raspberries and tomatoes
aren't supposed to be grown together or one after the other.

But... did you spray any broadleaf weed killer ..or .. a neighbor
spray dandelions/other broad leaf weeds in their yard lately? 2 4 D
contamination can cause contorted growth.

Could also be fusarium, verticillum wilt. You have a county extension
agent office in town? Master Gardener program usually mans the phones
for gardening questions. Might be able to take an example, or direct
them to that url if they have computer access in their office.

If not, check to see if there is a garden center that has folks
working that aren't just hires off the street, but has knowledgable
folks. That would be my second choice. Cutting off a branch and
hauling it in would be hard to tell whether the wilting when you got
there with it was from a disease or the being cut and hauled in. Put
it in a bucket with some water in the bottom immediately..as in take
it with you to the plant and cut.. into the bucket with it.. if it
comes to that.

If you end up finding out that it's one of the wilts.. I was told that
it's going to be there, in the ground from then on, but you can buy
resistant varieties, and of course, don't plant things that are
affected one after the other.. rotate the crops.

I have anthracnose in my yard for sure, and the neighbor's tree died
from one of the wilts, but they didn't know which, so I imagine it's
all through the place.

I hope it's a careless neighbor rather than the other. Either way, do
not put the plants in the compost bin.

Janice

Old 03-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Kay Lancaster

On 2 Jun 2004 11:00:35 -0700, Fleemo wrote:
Offhand, looks more like a virus or herbicide drift.

Oh my gosh, I did just put down some "Weed & Feed" fertilizer on my
lawn, which borders the vegetable beds. I wonder if some drifted onto
the tomatoes??? If that was the case, ya think they're gonners?

Can't tell. My guess is they'll be mildly to maybe severely set back.
If the herbicide was applied a week ago, and you're only seeing this
much, you'd probably get some fruit yield.

I guess my real question here is whether it'd be inadviseable to plant
more tomatoes in this same spot, adding mulch and being careful to
only water from beneath?

Given that you may have flung some weed and feed in the area, I'd
probably forgo replanting there this year unless you know what the chemical
was, and what the half life in the soil is (try checking Extoxnet).

I'm still wondering about viruses though, as it looks like you've
got healthy plants nearby, and I'd expect them to show some signs
of stress if it were something like 2,4-D.

2,4-D is rather volatile at high temps, btw... used to see a lot
of damaged grapes and poppies in the midwest when the farmers had
herbicided cornfields and then we had a hot day and a prevailing wind.

Safest thing to do is probably put some of your emergency reserve
plants in pots with uncontaminated soil.

Some photos for you:
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...001/July_4.htm

Kay

[IMG] code is On

Baby tomato plants wilted after potting Hel United Kingdom 4 04-04-2005 10:28 PM
Wilted ginger Wayne Pein North Carolina 0 07-09-2004 09:02 PM
Help, Kyushu Hydrangea plant with wilted leaves Dying ississauga Gardening 3 10-08-2004 05:51 AM
wilted aloe leaves moonpie Gardening 1 10-06-2004 07:02 PM
Magnolia looking Wilted? Dawn Gardening 4 12-05-2004 01:02 AM