Old 09-06-2004, 05:04 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Default Maple Tree help

Could be improper pruning such as flush cuts.

see www.treedictionary.com

--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:00:09 GMT, Judas pratt_m@
hotmail.com wrote:

I have 2 Maple trees that are probably 25 years old & 40-50 ft high.
They both have slices in the bark going up about 8-10 feet from the
ground & the bark is peeled away from the trunk about 4-5 inches on
both sides. What has caused this and why only these 2 trees and not
the others?

Hi Mike,

Just guessing, but could it possibly be lightning strikes? I
know of several trees around my area that have been hit by
lightning that look something like this.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 09-06-2004, 05:04 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Also tree may have been planted too deep and have girdling roots. Do you
have any cracks coming from the base?