Old 10-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Default Problem with a maple tree - help!

Hi everyone

I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I am having with the maple tree in my front garden.* It is a fairly large tree (about the height of the house) and is probably around 25-30 years old.

Since I moved in around 4 years ago, it has always had very thick, green leaves every year.* Last weekend,*I had a professional out to cut it back (basically reducing the height) because it was getting quite tall.* This week, however, I have noticed that all of the leaves near the top of the tree in the middle (mainly where it was cut) have gone brown and wilted (a few have fallen off).* As the week has gone on, I have noticed more and more of the leaves on the tree are turning brown and wilting, not just where the tree has been cut but also on the lower and outer branches.

Is this normal when you cut back a maple tree?* If so, will the leaves grow back this year?

If this is not normal, does anyone know what this could be and how I can fix it??* I was hoping to sell the house*this summer*and I don't want a tree in my front garden that looks like it is dying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!* If it makes any difference, I live in the West Midlands, UK.

Thanks very much

Matt
Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 10 May 2013 15:41:08 +0200, Matt1984
wrote:

[...]

It would help to know what type of maple, however spring is not a good
time to prune maples. But if you're planning on selling your house it
would be best to have the tree removed entirely, a heavily topped tree
will be an eyesore.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Matt1984

I wonder about your "professional".
There are tree cutters and there are tree surgeons.
I'm neither but suspect it was cut at the wrong time of year for one
thing,
Topping a tree is usually not good practice if deciduous.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
On May 10, 2:41*pm, Matt1984
wrote:
[...]

Hi brooklyn1/frank

Thanks for your replies. I'm afraid I don't know what type of maple tree it is sorry. The professional I got is apparently a qualified arborist and is an approved contractor of the aboricultural association. It's very disappointing because it is a lovely tree.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2013 4:47 PM, Matt1984 wrote:
Frank;982981 Wrote:
On May 10, 2:41*pm, Matt1984
wrote:-
[...]

An arborist should know what he is doing. I guess you have to wait and
see.

I had a beautiful, large maple next to the house that I had removed. I
don't want any large trees near the house that could damage it if they
fall in a storm.

Old 13-05-2013, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Matt1984 wrote:
Frank;982981 Wrote:
On May 10, 2:41*pm, Matt1984
wrote:-
[...]

The "arborist" probably knows better than any of us what his pruning should do
to the tree. Have you asked him?

[IMG] code is On

Maple Tree Problem Aaron Gardening 2 18-05-2006 02:07 AM
Red Maple / Silver Maple What's the Difference? [email protected] Gardening 5 19-06-2005 10:28 AM
Maple Tree Problem Bonnie Gardening 3 11-08-2004 12:50 AM
Maple Tree help Judas Gardening 31 09-06-2004 05:04 AM
[IBC] Trident Maple Leaf Problem on Gallery Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 5 07-06-2003 04:22 AM