Old 02-06-2004, 02:03 PM
pixi

Default Help!! Need a trailing plant for pond edge

Can someone suggest a something to plant at the edge of a water garden that
will trail over the side and brush the water? Don't want a plant that will
spread a lot.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2004, 05:03 PM

ask on rec.ponds

"pixi" wrote:

Can someone suggest a something to plant at the edge of a water garden that
will trail over the side and brush the water? Don't want a plant that will
spread a lot.

Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:02 PM
pixi

Why? I don't want a pond or bog plant. I want a plant that will look well
trailing over a wall.

wrote in message
ask on rec.ponds

"pixi" wrote:

Can someone suggest a something to plant at the edge of a water garden

that
will trail over the side and brush the water? Don't want a plant that

will
spread a lot.

Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 03-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Janice

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:08:27 GMT, wrote:

ask on rec.ponds

"pixi" wrote:

Can someone suggest a something to plant at the edge of a water garden that
will trail over the side and brush the water? Don't want a plant that will
spread a lot.

Thanks

Not really a "trailing" plant, but I've seen various kinds of ferns
used effectively along the edges of ponds, they may have been in pots
that were turned or they could have been planted in the ground...if
you're using a pond liner you have to watch out digging around the
edges as the liner is usually just under the soil.. and usually rocks
are placed to weight the liner as well as hide it and flat rocks
usually are placed to stick out over the water a bit also to shade the
liner as well as make it more difficult for animals to get right to
the water's edge and "fish" . Also don't want to plant things which
will have roots strong enough to poke through the liner. Definitely
not a rhizomatous grass with their needle sharp growing tips.

Janice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Roy

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:39:51 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

===Can someone suggest a something to plant at the edge of a water garden that
===will trail over the side and brush the water? Don't want a plant that will
===spread a lot.
===
===Thanks
===

I don;t remember the name of the vine I have along mine, but its a
very common plant. Its a vine that has light green leaves with while
veins etc on ther leaf itself. Its commonly seen in hanging pnaters
and such and is very common. I'll have to look it up and find out the
name.

I have a 1 acre pond with a small section fenced off with hardware
cloth around a water garden and some koi and goldfish, and planated
this vine where the hardware cloth is dug into the pond bank. It has
slowly spready all across the hardware cloth basically covering the
mesh, but its not all that an invasive of a plant. Also have it
planted here and there in the rocks forming a wall along the pond and
its easy to keep under control.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
pixi

Would sure appreciate the name. Will check your web site. Hope you have
pictures. My husband won't let me have a bigger pond unless is spring fed
and has an outlet.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Ka30P

I've had good luck with both creeping jenny
and aquatic forget-me-not at the edge of my pond. They don't spread faster than
I can control them and look very pretty all year.

kathy :-)