Old 13-06-2004, 09:02 PM
David Ross

Default Dividing Sprekelia

I have an overgrown clump of Sprekelia formossissima (Aztec lily,
Jacobean lily). I would like to divide it. However, the last time
I did that, the bulbs sulked for a few years without blooming (very
much the way Amarillis belladonna would).

Does anyone have a positive experience dividing Sprekelia?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 14-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

David Ross in :

I have an overgrown clump of Sprekelia formossissima (Aztec lily,
Jacobean lily). I would like to divide it. However, the last time
I did that, the bulbs sulked for a few years without blooming (very
much the way Amarillis belladonna would).

Does anyone have a positive experience dividing Sprekelia?

i thought that divided amaryllis would bloom ok if they were divided at a
cetain time of year. i think there's a note about that in sunset. i've
diug and repplanted amaryllis, but havne't been concerned with, or
tracked, when they bloomed.

however sprekelia is a wet tropic species, yes? so not so easily comapred
to the dry summer amaryllis.
Old 14-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

David Ross in :

I have an overgrown clump of Sprekelia formossissima (Aztec lily,
Jacobean lily). I would like to divide it. However, the last time
I did that, the bulbs sulked for a few years without blooming (very
much the way Amarillis belladonna would).

Does anyone have a positive experience dividing Sprekelia?

i thought that divided amaryllis would bloom ok if they were divided at a
cetain time of year. i think there's a note about that in sunset. i've
diug and repplanted amaryllis, but havne't been concerned with, or
tracked, when they bloomed.

however spreckelia is a wet tropic species, yes? so not so easily comapred
to the dry summer amaryllis.
Old 14-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Cereus-validus

No Gardenia Fake mail,

If you don't know, don't make wild guesses.

Sprekelia is a summer flowering desert genus of bulbs from Mexico allied to
Zephyranthes and Habranthus. They don't behave like most Hippeastrum
(Amaryllis). Sprekelia are well known to be shy to bloom and resent being
divided or moved. They are also heavy feeders and need to be well fertilized
to bloom well. When the do bloom, the red fleur-de-lis flowers are quite
extraordinary and well worth the extra effort.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pbs/pbswiki/index.php/Sprekelia

David Ross in :