Old 24-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Sis

Default Bouganvilla

I planted a Bouganvilla(sp) in a large pot. It had flowers on it when I
bought it,but they have since fallen off and no new blooms have appeared for
weeks. The plant is in full sun and is a little wilted. I've watered it
regularly. Any kind person with suggestions? Thank you. Sis

Old 24-06-2004, 11:11 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Sis" wrote in message
I planted a Bouganvilla(sp) in a large pot. It had flowers on it when I
bought it,but they have since fallen off and no new blooms have appeared

for
weeks. The plant is in full sun and is a little wilted. I've watered it
regularly. Any kind person with suggestions? Thank you. Sis

It would help to know where you are. Bouganvillias don't necessarily flower
all year around, they generally have a good show in Spring and *may* flower
somewhat through Summer and *may* have another show in Autumn. They must
have full sun and warmth to flower well, it is normally for them to wilt a
little on a hot day, if they don't recover by morning they need more water.
Some balanced fertiliser during the growing season is OK but don't over feed
with nitrogenous fertiliser or you will get great leaves but not much in the
way of flowers. It isn't really important to the matter of flowering but
the bright coloured part is not actually a flower but a modified leaf, a
bract, the flower is the little star-shaped bit in the centre.

David

Old 26-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Sis

Thanks so much for your advice. I live in Pa. I thought they bloomed all
season. My cousin in Ca has them and I thought I remember that hers bloomed
all summer. Sis

Old 26-06-2004, 08:07 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Sis" wrote in message
Thanks so much for your advice. I live in Pa. I thought they bloomed all
season. My cousin in Ca has them and I thought I remember that hers

bloomed
all summer. Sis

My knowledge of USA geography is not wonderful but I am guessing that the
summer is a fair bit warmer and longer at your cousin's place than yours, is
that so?

David