Old 28-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france
Default hollyhock seeds

I've just been reading Paul's posting on cottage gardens, which reminded me of my failed attempts last year to raise any hollyhock plants from seeds which I scattered around the garden in February. I want to try again this year and have loads of seeds I collected last autumn. So I'm happy to try different methods. I seem to remember reading somewhere that January is a good time to sew outside, but right now our ground is frozen, so that's not possible. Any suggestions most welcome.

jay jay
Old 29-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from jay jay contains

these
words:

I've just been reading Paul's posting on cottage gardens, which
reminded me of my failed attempts last year to raise any hollyhock
plants from seeds which I scattered around the garden in February.
I want to try again this year and have loads of seeds I collected
last autumn. So I'm happy to try different methods. I seem to
remember reading somewhere that January is a good time to sew
outside,

which hemisphere?

but right now our
ground is frozen, so that's not possible.

[...]

I wouldn't sow them outdoors before April, and then I wouldn't just
scatter them: best to raise them in a seed-bed if you can. If your
weed control is good, you could sow them around their final
positions, though, and take out the ones you don't want. (Some plants
benefit from being transplanted, of course: I don't know if this
includes hollyhocks.)

Under frost-free cover, they can go into seed-trays or pots in
February, but say March to be on the safe side. The trouble with
sowing too early is that you can end up with rather straggly plants
which won't always do as well when planted out.

Either way they won't flower till next year, so you may as well take
a bit of trouble and make a little seed-bed somewhere. Lovely things:
they're worth it.

Mike.

Stubborn Hollyhock James Watt Gardening 3 28-08-2004 07:11 PM
Hollyhock Transplanting KJFK Gardening 3 27-06-2004 01:02 AM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 5 10-08-2003 11:13 AM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 0 04-08-2003 09:12 AM
Hollyhock`s Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 29-06-2003 11:56 AM