Old 29-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Perry Templeton

Default Keeping dogs from digging in garden.

What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden? That's
safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
Perry

Old 29-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Roy

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:27:58 -0500, "Perry Templeton"
wrote:

===What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden? That's
===safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
===Perry
===

Other than fencing in the garden or keeping Fido on a lead, its gonna
be a hard thing to do short of cutting the front paws off!

I have 4 miniature dachshunds, who for the most part are fine, but in
a split second can dig out a canyon you could put a car in, while in
pursuit of whatever gets their attention. So we have to constantly
keep an eye on them when they are out of "thier" yard if we don't
want any more trenches and canyons dug.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 29-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Laura J

Perry,

My sister used coffee grounds to train her dog to stay out of the trash.
Seeing as that is something that people sometimes put on their garden
anyway, maybe you could give it a try?

Now if only it would work for squirrels, I'd be all set. Yesterday they
decided that just digging up the garden wasn't enough and attacked the pots
& window boxes I have on the balcony as well. ARGH!!!

LauraJ

Old 29-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Sunflower

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden?

That's
safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
Perry

An electric wire run around the garden beds will keep them from digging in
the beds. You'd better give them somewhere else that is "approved" to dig
in though, because both of these dogs do that by instinct. Also, only let
them out when you are there to supervise them. Otherwise keep them in the
house with you or in their crates if they can't be supervised. Lots of
structured exercise and obedience training will go a long way into making
"terrorists" at least acceptible community citizens as well.

Old 29-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Very simple.

Just have their legs removed!!!

Old 29-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Doug Kanter

Excellent. And, a Vietnamese acquaintance says dogs are quite tasty. Much
more useful as food than for any other known purpose.

. ..

Old 29-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Matt

Perhaps one of those buried electric fences for keeping dogs in the
yard. You could just surround all of your planters or gardens with the
buring wire, and if the dog crosses over (or even gets too close), they will
get a little harmless zap that will make them think twice about entering the
garden again. That or a few short lessons with a training (choke) collar
can be quite productive.
good luck,
Matt in MI

Old 29-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Doug Kanter

LL Bean (and other companies) sell electric collars and remote control
zappers for hunters who need to get their dogs to pretend to be smart. Much
cheaper than the invisible fence option.

m...

Old 29-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Grandpa

But if that occured the only way to exercise them would be to take them
for a dragG. Yeah, I know terrible humor. And you couldn't name them
as it would serve no purpose since they couldn't come when you called them.

On the plus side its good to know that my 2 MinPins are not the only
terrorists around. Ours like tomatos and harvest their own when the
whim hits so they have their own plants, mine are along side the house
where they can't get to them!

Grandpa

Old 29-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Sunflower

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
LL Bean (and other companies) sell electric collars and remote control
zappers for hunters who need to get their dogs to pretend to be smart.

Much
cheaper than the invisible fence option.

And neither work very well without the unspoken secret of "TRAINING".
Buying an underground fence or zap collar and just using it without training
your dog in what you expect from him can lead to all sorts of behavior
problems including aggression. In addition, an underground fence does not
protect your dog from roaming dogs or idiot humans like a traditional fence
can, and should never ever be used as the sole containment for a dog that is
left outdoors unsupervised. Training collars are sophisticated training
devices used by professional trainers and dogs who are well beyond attaining
several companion dog obedience titles and not negative deterrent ones for
common household issues in my dog Spot. Used incorrectly by someone who
doesn't know how to train their dog in the first place or won't take the
time to do it properly, they are inhumane and can encourage entirely the
wrong behavior.

Our Humane Society does not endorse the use of either and we will not adopt
to anyone who has only an underground fence as a plan to contain their dog.
We DO recommend a simple electric wire fence as it's visible and easily
understood by your dog when learning boundaries. After a month of use, you
usually don't even have to turn it on again.

Old 29-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Doug Kanter

"Sunflower" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
LL Bean (and other companies) sell electric collars and remote control
zappers for hunters who need to get their dogs to pretend to be smart.

Much
cheaper than the invisible fence option.

And neither work very well without the unspoken secret of "TRAINING".

Granted, but if someone chooses to own a pet which has perhaps a 95%
probability of destroying SOMETHING on the property, they may be beyond
understanding the need for training. So, around in circles we go. These are
people who shouldn't own a dog to begin with (although it's not clear that
ANYONE should, but that's another issue entirely).

Old 29-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Doug Kanter

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
But if that occured the only way to exercise them would be to take them
for a dragG. Yeah, I know terrible humor.

ROFL! Great humor! I'm sending you a virtual beer. Place your glass on the
CD-ROM drawer. Hit CTRL-B to dispense beer.

[IMG] code is On

Rotavators for digging garden Alan United Kingdom 5 12-10-2004 05:12 PM
Bloody dogs digging out bulbs kingsley Australia 4 13-09-2003 10:02 AM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 23-04-2003 02:08 PM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 20-10-2002 12:19 AM