Old 30-06-2004, 03:02 AM

Default Keeping dogs from digging in garden.

blood meal seems to work for the squirrels in wisconsin. Ingrid

"Laura J" wrote:

Perry,

My sister used coffee grounds to train her dog to stay out of the trash.
Seeing as that is something that people sometimes put on their garden
anyway, maybe you could give it a try?

Now if only it would work for squirrels, I'd be all set. Yesterday they
decided that just digging up the garden wasn't enough and attacked the pots
& window boxes I have on the balcony as well. ARGH!!!

LauraJ

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden?

That's
safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
Perry

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-06-2004, 03:02 AM

I put up fences where I didnt want the dogs to go... or dig. but you could use green
2x4" plastic coated fencing down on the ground, then plant thru it, mulch over it.
when they start digging they hit the fencing it stops them. Ingrid

"Perry Templeton" wrote:

What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden? That's
safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
Perry

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 30-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Judy Cosler

terriers are BRED to dig!!

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:02:24 -0500, "Perry Templeton"
wrote:

My terrorists. A Boston and a Rat Terrorist.
Perry
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Are you referring to YOUR dog, or someone else's?

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden?

That's
safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
Perry

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((
Old 30-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Curly Sue

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:10:12 GMT, "Laura J"
wrote:

Now if only it would work for squirrels, I'd be all set. Yesterday they
decided that just digging up the garden wasn't enough and attacked the pots
& window boxes I have on the balcony as well. ARGH!!!

LauraJ

It may be too early to tell but I think I've found a solution for
that. I noticed that my squirrelfriends were not digging where I had
mulched garden plants with shredded leaves. So I mulched the potted
plants with a thick layer of shredded leaves (I have a large supply
left from last fall) and the squirrels have left the plants alone
since then. It's been over a week with no digging. Let's see how
long that lasts! Maybe I'll throw out a handful of peanuts today and
see what happens.

Sue(tm)
Old 30-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Perry Templeton

You're all right about the inquisitive and exploring nature of the breed. I
just don't want them to be like that in my little vegetable garden!
I think there is some grub or something in the dirt, as they always dig in
the same exact spot. I wound up putting bricks over the spot where they
were digging and it seems to be working.
Perry

Old 30-06-2004, 04:05 PM
M.Paul

I use fences to keep our dogs out of areas of the yard where I don't want
them digging. I once knew a dog trainer that recommended burying an
inflated balloon in the area where they like to dig. Once the dog finds the
balloon, it doesn't feel like digging (at least in that particular area)
anymore.

Old 30-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Doug Kanter

How about just getting in their faces when they dig in the garden and
yelling until they are shaking in fear? I mean, really, what other options
do you have which won't be an absurd inconvenience to you? You want a smart
pet? Get a chimpanzee.

news

Old 30-06-2004, 06:02 PM
zxcvbob

Perry Templeton wrote:

What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden? That's
safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
Perry

Electric fence charger, a few little posts and insulators, and some
electric fence tape or aluminized wire. Here's a model I can recommend:

Or look for a battery powered electromechanical one, cuz they don't
shock so hard. You should be able to find one at Tractor Supply.

The dogs will hit it one time and be afraid to go near it again for a
day or two, then they will get over the fear and go right up close to it
again but won't cross it. You won't even have to leave it hooked up all
the time.

And give the dogs someplace else where they *can* dig.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 30-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Perry Templeton

"And give the dogs someplace else where they *can* dig."

They can dig just about anywhere. I don't have a problem with that. In
fact I think it's funny as to what provokes them to dig "here" or "there" or
anywhere for the that matter. Is it just fun? Do they smell some morsel or
tidbit that's bound to taste good, if they can only dig to China to get to
it?
I had some Doggie Deterrent that I used in the front yard to discourage a
neighbor's dog from crapping in my flower bed (attached via a leash to the
brain dead owner). But the container instructions advised to not use on
food plants.
Perry

Old 30-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Doug Kanter

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message

I had some Doggie Deterrent that I used in the front yard to discourage a
neighbor's dog from crapping in my flower bed (attached via a leash to the
brain dead owner).

If you ask the owner to NOT let his dog stop on your property and it
continues, call the police. It falls under the heading of civil trespass,
even if the owner himself never steps foot on your land. They can slap him
in handcuffs. Works great, no chemicals to worry about. Sometimes the dog
owner will mouth off at the cops, which makes for even MORE fun.

Old 30-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Perry Templeton

It finally got to the point where I asked the crapping dog's owner (mid
squat in the flower bed) "Dude, you pass up an empty lot and EVERY morning
your dog craps in my flower bed....why can't you walk slower and the dog can
crap in the empty lot?" At verbal confrontation, he started taking a
different route.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 AM
culprit

wrote in message
blood meal seems to work for the squirrels in wisconsin. Ingrid

unfortunately, most dogs think blood meal is a delicious treat to be licked
up out of the ground.

-kelly

Old 01-07-2004, 06:04 AM
culprit

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden?

That's
safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
Perry

is there any food product or spice your dogs don't like? try chili powder
or bitter apple spray. avoid the use of bone meal, blood meal, or manure as
fertilizers, dogs love them.
offer them their own special place to dig, then train them to dig there.
bury treats, bones, toys, and offer lots of praise when they DO dig there.
when they dig elsewhere, move them to the good spot, and be ready with the
treats when they start their digging there.

you could always fence it off. or supervise your dogs when they're in that
part of the yard.

-kelly

Old 01-07-2004, 10:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden?

That's
safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants...
Perry

Dogs often dig out of boredom. Train the dogs not to dig and/or get them
out for exercise and entertainment more often. Electric fences, repellent
odours etc etc are likely to be a waste of time.

David

[IMG] code is On

Rotavators for digging garden Alan United Kingdom 5 12-10-2004 05:12 PM
Bloody dogs digging out bulbs kingsley Australia 4 13-09-2003 10:02 AM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 23-04-2003 02:08 PM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 20-10-2002 12:19 AM