Old 23-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Druss

Default Markins, pumprows, or just senescent marrows?

"Andy Spragg" wrote in message
This year, we grew a bumper crop of marrows on our allotment. Not
because anyone in the house actually /likes/ them, you understand, but
because my 13yo son wanted to. I could relate to that - they grow fast
and big - ideal for a beginner. And we ended up with a couple of dozen
ranging from supermarket size to a lot bigger.

snip

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

"Ignorance is linked to laziness, both are deplorable,
the latter not to be confused with tuit-shortage,
which looks a lot like laziness to the ignorant"
Austin Shackles, uk.rec.sheds

There's only one thing to do witha surplus of marrows;
Marrow Rum !!! mmmmmmmmm, now that can make a marrow taste gooooood.
Duncan

Old 23-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Andy Spragg

"Druss" pushed briefly to the front of the queue
on Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:57:09 -0000, and nailed this to the shed door:

^ "Andy Spragg" wrote in message
^ ...

^ This year, we grew a bumper crop of marrows on our allotment. Not
^ because anyone in the house actually /likes/ them, you understand, but
^ because my 13yo son wanted to. I could relate to that - they grow fast
^ and big - ideal for a beginner. And we ended up with a couple of dozen
^ ranging from supermarket size to a lot bigger.

^ There's only one thing to do witha surplus of marrows;
^ Marrow Rum !!! mmmmmmmmm, now that can make a marrow taste gooooood.

Admirable sentiments, Duncan. But not ones that I have ever managed to
turn into reality, several attempts notwithstanding. If you have a
demi-john based recipe for same, I'd be very happy to try again - but
doing it in the marrow, as per folklore, always turned out a waste of
good sucrose for me.

OTOH, inspired by Bob Hobden (loc cit), I'll see your marrow rum and
raise you a curried over-ripe marrow. Invented tonight and hot off the
frying pan: take one large red onion, slice thinly and fry gently for
a few minutes in a small amount of oil. Add 1 oz butter, two chopped
well-ripe tomatoes, and curry paste of choice to taste (erring on the
sparing). While this is cooking, remove marrow skin and seedy
interior, and add diced flesh to pan with four sliced cloves of
parboiled garlic. Cook awhile longer, folding occasionally, and serve
while marrow flesh still retains some intrinsic colour and structure.

It was only an experiment, but in all honesty I have to say it was
absolutely gorgeous. Every bit as good as brinjal bhaji but without
all that faffing around with salt and heavy weights. And using
homegrown veg too. Does it get any better?

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

"It's your fault we don't have a no-blame culture"
Lee Hartley, RHM Technology
Old 09-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Druss

[...]

Excellent plan, sounds delicious, might have to try that sometime.

As for the rum, I have made several batches of the stuff from the start
point of being in the marrow, only had one failure, and I think that was
when the lid part of the marrow wasn't forming a very good seal and
something nasty got into the brew very early on.

Basically it's just the old cut off top, take out seeds and fill with
brown(demerara preferably) sugar, then keep topping up the sugar for about 2
weeks, and then dump everything inside the marrow into a demi john and treat
like a normal home brew, albeit with a huge amount of sediment. I think I
strained mine before adding in the yeast though.

Duncan

Is it just my bad gardening (planting my tomatoes out too late) orhas the weather just been awful for growing peppers and tomates furlow United Kingdom 16 02-09-2010 07:23 PM
Marrows! chris thame United Kingdom 3 18-07-2008 09:05 PM
Marrows Michael[_13_] United Kingdom 1 04-07-2008 04:47 PM
Marrows - Female Flowers? Sue S Gardening 4 07-07-2004 01:02 PM
Marrows & potatoes ajr United Kingdom 5 23-05-2004 10:08 PM