Old 09-07-2004, 10:02 AM
THURSTON ACKERMAN

Default Is any one using washing

FamilyNet Newsgate

PAWe use lots and lots of water to wash cloths- Pay for using the water and
PAdisposing it. Due to the high price of water in BUTLER COUNTY (OHIO), I am
PAthinking why not use this water to drain out into flower beds.
PAHas any one done this? Any precautions to be taken? Do I need to 'filter'
PAthe water?

My mother did it for years (I remember carrying the buckets out
to the garden and/or our fruit trees before I could go play 8-)
and I rig a pump some years ago when we had a sever water shortage.

I would avoid useing detergents and use only nature oil soaps.
No bleach and/or softeners in most cases.

Ciao, Ack.
---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ Lifetime Warranties don't last as long as they use to.

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

Old 09-07-2004, 01:02 PM
GrampysGurl

PAWe use lots and lots of water to wash cloths- Pay for using the water and
PAdisposing it. Due to the high price of water in BUTLER COUNTY (OHIO), I am
PAthinking why not use this water to drain out into flower beds.

A neighbor growing up had a setup where her laundry water would water the grass
in the yard. She really did have the greenest lawn on the block, I figure
because of the phosphates.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Sherman

"GrampysGurl" wrote in message

PAWe use lots and lots of water to wash cloths- Pay for using the water

and
PAdisposing it. Due to the high price of water in BUTLER COUNTY (OHIO),

I am
PAthinking why not use this water to drain out into flower beds.

A neighbor growing up had a setup where her laundry water would water the

grass
in the yard. She really did have the greenest lawn on the block, I figure
because of the phosphates.

My Mother used a wringer washer and laundry sinks way beyond when folks
could remember having even seen one. She loved it and had the drain hose
fixed to hook up to a hose to water our fruit trees. She only used Ivory
flakes to wash with. Maybe some other things too but I don't remember. The
trees flourished. She might have used it on her rose garden too. She had
very healthy roses. I use my Mother's "recipe" for my rose garden and put
egg shells, coffee grounds and fireplace ashes around them.

Sherman.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Girlsie

"THURSTON ACKERMAN" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I use my wash water for the trees & the rinse water for the garden beds.
Wash water is fine for the grass.

Girlsie ^Å^

Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Leon Fisk

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:16:20 -0400, "pantuvarali"
wrote:
We use lots and lots of water to wash cloths- Pay for using the water and
disposing it. Due to the high price of water in BUTLER COUNTY (OHIO), I am
thinking why not use this water to drain out into flower beds.

"GrampysGurl" wrote in message
A neighbor growing up had a setup where her laundry water would water the grass
in the yard. She really did have the greenest lawn on the block, I figure
because of the phosphates.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:21:53 -0400, "Sherman"
wrote:

My Mother used a wringer washer and laundry sinks way beyond when folks
could remember having even seen one. She loved it and had the drain hose
fixed to hook up to a hose to water our fruit trees. She only used Ivory
flakes to wash with. Maybe some other things too but I don't remember. The
trees flourished. She might have used it on her rose garden too. She had
very healthy roses. I use my Mother's "recipe" for my rose garden and put
egg shells, coffee grounds and fireplace ashes around them.

Hi Sherman,

I'm taking a break right now (need COFFEE), after carrying
the wash water outside a ways. In a few minutes I'll carry
the 8 six gallon buckets out to the garden area to be used
where needed. Tomatoes, green peppers, sweet corn, green
beans, carrots, flowers, shrubs...

We/Mom still washes clothes with a wringer washer (old Speed
Queen, Mom doesn't want a new fandangled machine). I drain
most of the water from the washer and tubs into the
aforementioned buckets during the summer months. She uses
liquid Tide now days and a touch of liquid softener (well
water, no water softener in the plumbing).

We've been dumping it on garden plants and shrubbery for
many years with no noticeable ill effects. I too remember
carrying it out in buckets as a kid. Now I'm MUCH older and
still carrying it out, although I'm more understanding about
getting it done. Speaking of which, my coffee is gone and
the break must be over. Time to get humping ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b