Old 17-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Cat

Default Arrrghhh! Ants!

Arrrghhh! I just picked up a bag of triple mix and found:

http://www.reptiles.org/~gwen/ant.jpg

underneath. Should I worry about them? They're grossing me out something
fierce [I don't know if the little red ants are showing up - but the
white things look like cocoons not maggots.

I'm in Toronto, ON - Zone 6a.

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."
Old 17-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Cat

In article ,
Cat wrote:
Arrrghhh! I just picked up a bag of triple mix and found:
http://www.reptiles.org/~gwen/ant.jpg

underneath. Should I worry about them? They're grossing me out something
fierce [I don't know if the little red ants are showing up - but the
white things look like cocoons not maggots.

I'm in Toronto, ON - Zone 6a.

Following up to myself, they look like:

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Que...his%20pest.htm

[search down the page for #88b or 'ants']

Old 17-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Mary

"Cat" wrote in message
Arrrghhh! I just picked up a bag of triple mix and found:

http://www.reptiles.org/~gwen/ant.jpg

underneath. Should I worry about them? They're grossing me out something
fierce [I don't know if the little red ants are showing up - but the
white things look like cocoons not maggots.

No problem, they are not bad if you use a little butter when you fry them
up. Tasty!

Old 17-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Cat

In article vYeKc.101261$MB3.53885@attbi_s04, Mary wrote:
"Cat" wrote in message
Arrrghhh! I just picked up a bag of triple mix and found:
http://www.reptiles.org/~gwen/ant.jpg
underneath. Should I worry about them? They're grossing me out something
fierce [I don't know if the little red ants are showing up - but the
white things look like cocoons not maggots.

No problem, they are not bad if you use a little butter when you fry them
up. Tasty!

I prefer candied grasshoppers - ants always seem to catch on my tongue
when I eat them.

[the local suggestion seems to be Lasius Flavus/Yellow Ant, and not to
worry. I'm still trying to get to "don't worry" though ;]

Old 18-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Cat said:

Arrrghhh! I just picked up a bag of triple mix and found:

http://www.reptiles.org/~gwen/ant.jpg

underneath. Should I worry about them? They're grossing me out something
fierce [I don't know if the little red ants are showing up - but the
white things look like cocoons not maggots.

The ants found the temperature and humidity under the bag to be perfect for
their nursery. I bet they started hustling the larvae and/or pupae off to somewhere
less exposed once you lifted the bag.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 18-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Cat

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Cat said:
Arrrghhh! I just picked up a bag of triple mix and found:
http://www.reptiles.org/~gwen/ant.jpg

The ants found the temperature and humidity under the bag to be perfect for
their nursery. I bet they started hustling the larvae and/or pupae off
to somewhere less exposed once you lifted the bag.

Impressively so, yes ; I think they'd managed to get everything under
cover in something less than 15 minutes ;

The local nursery seems to think that they're Lasius Flavus - Yellow Ants,
and can be considered harmless, which leaves me feeling much better. [still
rather disconcerted by the... uh... magnitude... but better ;]

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."

[IMG] code is On

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM