Old 18-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Blues Ma

Default Relocating Hemerocallis

*

Has any one here ever thinned / moved their day lilies at this time of
year ?

The lily sites tell all about spring and fall bare root planting, but
haven't found
any info on when not to move 'em.
*

Ma
Zone* 5

Old 18-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Vox Humana

"Blues Ma" wrote in message

Has any one here ever thinned / moved their day lilies at this time of
year ?

The lily sites tell all about spring and fall bare root planting, but
haven't found
any info on when not to move 'em.

If you have a choice, I would wait for fall. If not, just move them now.
Daylilies are almost bulletproof. I just planted some bare root Siloam
purple two weeks ago and they are thriving. I have done this a couple of
time, picking them up at sales and they usually bloom, although the flowers
are very late. If you move them now, just keep them evenly moist for the
rest of the summer and consider mixing in some triple phosphate in the
backfill.

Old 18-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bob S.

Blues Ma wrote in message ...
*

Has any one here ever thinned / moved their day lilies at this time of
year ?

The lily sites tell all about spring and fall bare root planting, but
haven't found any info on when not to move 'em.
*

Ma
Zone* 5

You really have to try hard to kill them so I'd say move them when
it's convenient for you.

I found some deep in a thick woods by a bulldozed old home site. They
were growing in about 1/2" of very dry soil over a pile of chimney
bricks. Judging by surrounding tree size, they probably haven't seen
direct sun, nor bloomed, in 25 years. Transplanted to my garden they
are growing & blooming beautifully! That taught me how hardy they can
be.

Bob S.
Zone 7
Old 18-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Blues Ma

"Bob S." wrote:

Blues Ma wrote in message ...

Has any one here ever thinned / moved their day lilies at this time of
year ?

The lily sites tell all about spring and fall bare root planting, but
haven't found any info on when not to move 'em.

Ma
Zone* 5

You really have to try hard to kill them so I'd say move them when
it's convenient for you.

I found some deep in a thick woods by a bulldozed old home site. They
were growing in about 1/2" of very dry soil over a pile of chimney
bricks. Judging by surrounding tree size, they probably haven't seen
direct sun, nor bloomed, in 25 years. Transplanted to my garden they
are growing & blooming beautifully! That taught me how hardy they can
be.

Bob S.
Zone 7

Thanks Bob.** I'm gonna go for it then.

Ma
*
*

Old 18-07-2004, 09:02 PM
zxcvbob

Blues Ma wrote:
*

Has any one here ever thinned / moved their day lilies at this time of
year ?

The lily sites tell all about spring and fall bare root planting, but
haven't found
any info on when not to move 'em.
*

Ma
Zone* 5

I moved some a few weeks ago and I don't think they even noticed. I
didn't divide the clumps, just dug them up and stuck them in the ground
somewhere else, and watered in good with 1/3 strength Miracle Gro.

Best regards,
Bob in zone 4

Old 19-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Blues Ma

zxcvbob wrote:

Blues Ma wrote:

Has any one here ever thinned / moved their day lilies at this time of
year ?

The lily sites tell all about spring and fall bare root planting, but
haven't found
any info on when not to move 'em.

Ma
Zone* 5

I moved some a few weeks ago and I don't think they even noticed.* I
didn't divide the clumps, just dug them up and stuck them in the ground
somewhere else, and watered in good with 1/3 strength Miracle Gro.

Best regards,
Bob in zone 4

Thanks Bob.....................they move tomorrow.

Ma
*
*

Old 22-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Andrew Ostrander

When I researched this about 2 years ago, the only rule I found was to make
sure they had 6 weeks to settle in before the end-of-season frost.

Andrew

"Bob S." wrote in message
om...

Old 22-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Cheryl Isaak

I try for 8+ weeks before a killing frost - so mid to late August here.
Cheryl

On 7/22/04 10:05 AM, in article , "Andrew
Ostrander" wrote:

When I researched this about 2 years ago, the only rule I found was to make
sure they had 6 weeks to settle in before the end-of-season frost.

Andrew

"Bob S." wrote in message
om...

Old 27-07-2004, 03:20 AM
zxcvbob

Blues Ma wrote:
*

Has any one here ever thinned / moved their day lilies at this time of
year ?

The lily sites tell all about spring and fall bare root planting, but
haven't found
any info on when not to move 'em.
*

Ma
Zone* 5

I moved some a few weeks ago and I don't think they even noticed. I
didn't divide the clumps, just dug them up and stuck them in the ground
somewhere else, and watered in good with 1/3 strength Miracle Gro.

Best regards,
Bob in zone 4

[IMG] code is On

Hemerocallis [1/1] Mad Cow Garden Photos 0 23-07-2013 03:37 PM
Recommendation for online Hemerocallis source? Jo Ann Gardening 12 04-07-2006 01:49 PM
hemerocallis lost names; can someone help? (0/1) Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 12-04-2006 01:17 PM
Hemerocallis Gilly United Kingdom 2 30-08-2005 12:08 PM
hemerocallis Gall Midge Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 15-06-2004 01:06 PM