Old 27-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Wil

Default Virus Warning

--

"sherwindu" wrote in message
I was under the naive impression that these newsgroup forums were

monitored by
a group moderator whose duties included removing viruses, spam, etc. I

protect
my emails with programs that look at messages on my server before I

download
them to my computer. I do not have such a recourse with the newsgroup

messages.
It's very scary to use the newsgroups, even though I am protected every

way I know
how.

TOM KAN PA wrote:

Perhaps it was the moderator that warned us.

Wil

Old 28-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Tom Randy

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:53:11 -0400, Wil wrote:

Perhaps it was the moderator that warned us.

Wil

This group has no moderator. Not all groups have one.

Old 28-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

First, anyone who couldn't figure out that it was spam of *some* sort, viral or
not, shouldn't be on the net.

Second, anyone who can't tell an executable file from a picture shouldn't be on
the net.

Old 28-07-2004, 02:03 AM
madgardener

oh don't pick on Tom, he's just warning us! He's a staple of this
newgroup!!!
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

Old 28-07-2004, 03:02 AM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote:

First, anyone who couldn't figure out that it was spam of *some* sort, viral
or
not, shouldn't be on the net.

Second, anyone who can't tell an executable file from a picture shouldn't be
on
the net.

Jim I assume you may be having a bad day. Lot's of folks purchase
computer systems via price. Some come with defaults set to open access.
Not their fault.
I'd suggest doing a search on the author of anyone you do not know
first before clicking on anything. Actually I'd Grokker the author.
Meanwhile Tech support has to make a living too.

A heads up from Tom does no harm.

William (Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )
Old 28-07-2004, 08:02 AM
William Wagner

In article ,
William Wagner wrote:

Nice little program "Little Snitch" shareware lets me know about
anyone trying to contact my machine. For Mac's but PC folks may have
something similar.
William (Bill)

Now back to garden stuff.

Old 28-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Jutta Haas

there is also one that announces Schwarzenegger's suicide - it too contains
a virus.

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Reports of bin Laden's death are viral lure

Beware of clicking

By INQUIRER staff: Saturday 24 July 2004, 18:46

NEWS.COM and other wires report that sensational messages spreading on

USENET
and by email which flash news of the death of Osama bin Laden's death are
really lures to trap the unwary into downloading a Trojan horse.

According to news.com, the message purports to have a picture of the
arch-terrorist committing suicide. But click on the picture and before you

know
where you are you've got an infection. µ

Old 28-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Jim Shaffer, Jr. wrote:
First, anyone who couldn't figure out that it was spam of *some* sort, viral or
not, shouldn't be on the net.

Second, anyone who can't tell an executable file from a picture shouldn't be on
the net.

The latter may not be obvious at all. I use a Linux box and read mail/news
in ascii only, so when an html message pops up I end up having to peruse
the html code. Doing that on a couple of spams has been interesting. In
one set, the link has one name but the ref has another. In another variant,
the name is obfuscated by a lot of white space (e.g.

"funnypicture.jpg .exe" with the last
part overwritten. Thus, even people who know the difference between
an executable file and a picture can be fooled...

billo

Old 28-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Jim Shaffer, Jr. wrote:
First, anyone who couldn't figure out that it was spam of *some* sort, viral or
not, shouldn't be on the net.

Second, anyone who can't tell an executable file from a picture shouldn't be on
the net.

The latter may not be obvious at all. I use a Linux box and read mail/news
in ascii only, so when an html message pops up I end up having to peruse
the html code. Doing that on a couple of spams has been interesting. In
one set, the link has one name but the ref has another. In another variant,
the name is obfuscated by a lot of white space (e.g.

"funnypicture.jpg .exe" with the last
part overwritten. Thus, even people who know the difference between
an executable file and a picture can be fooled...

billo

[IMG] code is On

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Virus Warning TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 24-07-2004 08:05 PM
Virus Warning Ray Orchids 0 05-08-2003 04:19 AM
West Nile Virus and mosquitoes. Don Gardening 11 31-05-2003 10:56 AM
Tomato wilt/virus??? Ian Mitchell Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM