Old 24-07-2004, 09:26 PM
madgardener

Default Virus Warning

oh don't pick on Tom, he's just warning us! He's a staple of this
newgroup!!!
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote in message
First, anyone who couldn't figure out that it was spam of *some* sort,

viral or
not, shouldn't be on the net.

Second, anyone who can't tell an executable file from a picture shouldn't

be on
the net.

Old 24-07-2004, 10:19 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
William Wagner wrote:

Nice little program "Little Snitch" shareware lets me know about
anyone trying to contact my machine. For Mac's but PC folks may have
something similar.
William (Bill)

Now back to garden stuff.

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )
Old 25-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Bill R

Jim Shaffer, Jr. wrote:
First, anyone who couldn't figure out that it was spam of *some* sort, viral or
not, shouldn't be on the net.

Second, anyone who can't tell an executable file from a picture shouldn't be on
the net.

Jim,

You are correct on both points but the plain truth is that
millions of people are just not computer savvy. Tom was
just posting the information for those in that group. It
has been reported that many people ARE clicking on the link
and just maybe the warning will prevent one of our gardening
friends from getting hit.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 25-07-2004, 12:56 AM
Warren

Bill R wrote:
You are correct on both points but the plain truth is that
millions of people are just not computer savvy. Tom was
just posting the information for those in that group. It
has been reported that many people ARE clicking on the link
and just maybe the warning will prevent one of our gardening
friends from getting hit.

The problem is, those people who didn't already know (or at least
suspect) that something was amiss with the rogue post wouldn't see Tom's
warning in time. Either they were zapped already, or they're reading the
posts (or threads) in chronological order, and will be zapped before
getting to this thread.

It was a nice gesture. But even if it came yesterday, it was too late.

The lesson that can be reinforced to the rest of us is to remember that
warnings never come fast enough for the gullible. Anyone who just *has*
to see "news" photos before they're released (we'll ignore the
unlikelihood of them being in rec.gardens before being on every TV
station on the dial) really needs to take a breath, and weigh the
possibility of damage over the need to know something a little ahead of
everyone else. At least wait for either the warnings, or for it to
become public knowledge.

Same goes for your bank, credit card company, or anyone else you do
business with needing to confirm information right away. If they need it
so quickly that you don't have the chance to call them on the phone to
confirm it's really them, then it's something bad for you.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of these for years to come, and the real
lesson (which I know we already know) is don't let them rush you. Don't
let them come up with *any* reason that convinces you to act faster than
the warnings can come, or faster than you can confirm something. The
most basic part of any con is getting you to act fast. Too fast.

Most of the people who act too fast in most cons knew better to begin
with. They just forgot. Think before acting. Ask before acting. That's
the message that needs to constantly be hammered into our human heads,
and Tom's message has been a catalyst for this discussion.

BTW... This doesn't just apply to downloading files, or opening
messages, or even computers. It applies to watching out when someone
offers us a tool or a plant, and tries to entice us to act faster than
we should. Impulse buys are fun if it's your impulse. If it's someone
else playing you into making an impulsive decision, you'll get burned.
And again, the warnings won't come along fast enough to save the most
impulsive of us.

Any one who can say they've never been conned either is lying, or
they're so dumb they haven't even realized they've been conned yet! And
most of us, given a long enough life, will fall victim again. But the
more we repeat the lesson to think before acting, perhaps the fewer
times we'll be suckered while we're still around.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgardener/index.html

Old 25-07-2004, 01:44 AM
David Ross

Neither Norton Anti-Virus (Symantec), CIAC (Dept of Energy),
US-CERT (Dept of Homeland Security), CERT (Carnegie-Mellon), nor
CVE (Mitre) report such a threat.

According to CIAC, a valid warning has the following
characteristics:
* There is a link to a report at an authoritative source (e.g., a
member of FIRST http://www.first.org/ but not a news
organization).
* The warning is digitally signed (e.g., via PGP) so that its
origin can be authenticated and the integrity of its content can be
verified.
* It does not say, "Tell all your friends."

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.

Old 25-07-2004, 12:21 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Jim Carlock" wrote:

Thanks to Tom.

And just a heads up to William Wagner and anyone else out there
that doesn't know...

William, can you check something out for me ?

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Interesting Jim!

Here our my results for my MAC

"Attempting connection to your computer...
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server
within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own
personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with
neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving
up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification
and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Preliminary Internet connection refused!
This is extremely favorable for your system's overall Windows File and
Printer Sharing security. Most Windows systems, with the Network
Neighborhood installed, hold the NetBIOS port 139 wide open to solicit
connections from all passing traffic. Either this system has closed this
usually-open port, or some equipment or software such as a "firewall" is
preventing external connection and has firmly closed the dangerous port
139 to all passersby. (Congratulations!)

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED.
(This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to
vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be
VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS
networking protocol over the Internet."

Old 26-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:58:39 -0400, Bill R wrote:

madgardener wrote:
we need to get these people into gardening on a grand scale. They have
waaaaay too much time on their hands!

I don't think "those type" of people are into gardening.

Here is what is going on: the file contains a "backdoor"
trojan that, once installed on a computer (and all you have
to do is click on the link for it to be installed), allows
them to use (control) that computer to send spam mail to
thousands of people daily. It also can be used to make a
person's computer "a pornography file server" or other such
device (it has been reported that terrorist use it to send
messages back and forth but I haven't seen any proof of that).

A very good (free) program that you can use to make sure
that none of these type of programs are installed on your
computer is Ad-Aware 6.0 and is available from the Lavasoft
web site, http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Be sure to keep it updated and scan your computer at least
once a week.

If you use Internet Explorer you better scan every day or 2 at the
very least.

Old 27-07-2004, 03:16 AM
TOM KAN PA

Reports of bin Laden's death are viral lure

Beware of clicking

By INQUIRER staff: Saturday 24 July 2004, 18:46

NEWS.COM and other wires report that sensational messages spreading on USENET
and by email which flash news of the death of Osama bin Laden's death are
really lures to trap the unwary into downloading a Trojan horse.

According to news.com, the message purports to have a picture of the
arch-terrorist committing suicide. But click on the picture and before you know
where you are you've got an infection. µ

Old 27-07-2004, 03:17 AM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote:

First, anyone who couldn't figure out that it was spam of *some* sort, viral
or
not, shouldn't be on the net.

Second, anyone who can't tell an executable file from a picture shouldn't be
on
the net.

Jim I assume you may be having a bad day. Lot's of folks purchase
computer systems via price. Some come with defaults set to open access.
Not their fault.
I'd suggest doing a search on the author of anyone you do not know
first before clicking on anything. Actually I'd Grokker the author.
Meanwhile Tech support has to make a living too.

A heads up from Tom does no harm.

William (Bill)

Old 27-07-2004, 03:18 AM
Wil

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Reports of bin Laden's death are viral lure

Beware of clicking

By INQUIRER staff: Saturday 24 July 2004, 18:46

NEWS.COM and other wires report that sensational messages spreading on

USENET
and by email which flash news of the death of Osama bin Laden's death are
really lures to trap the unwary into downloading a Trojan horse.

According to news.com, the message purports to have a picture of the
arch-terrorist committing suicide. But click on the picture and before you

know
where you are you've got an infection. µ

Tom your warning is very appropriate dispite the attitudes expressed by some
in this thread. Everyone should know that the Osama picture may be a link
to an maliscious web site that runs a file by taking advantage of a known
security hole in Internet Explorer. It is not necessarily an .exe
attachment. Or it might be an exe disguised as a jpg. with only the jpg
extension seen in the attachment window. Seasoned Internet users can get
caught by a tricky email or web virus.

A first line of defense is to make sure the windows operating system is
updated at the Windows Update site. Be sure to get every Critical Update.
Second is to keep onboard anti virus updated. I even have a DOS virus system
onboard if I have to quickly go to DOS and scan my computer.

If someone is caught with an old virus update and a virus installs,
sometimes the next update will give a cure for the virus. So don't give up
hope of curing the nasty from the infected computer.

Wil

[IMG] code is On

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Virus Warning TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 24-07-2004 08:05 PM
Virus Warning Ray Orchids 0 05-08-2003 04:19 AM
West Nile Virus and mosquitoes. Don Gardening 11 31-05-2003 10:56 AM
Tomato wilt/virus??? Ian Mitchell Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM