Old 26-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Bill R

Default Indiana -- tree question

Volfie wrote:
I'm new to Indiana (only third summer here) so I'm not sure if what I'm
seeing is usual or not. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of trees seem to have leaves
dying at the very tips of the branches. There are a wide range of hardwood
trees that I originally thought were changing color very early in the season
but now I can see they have dried up leaves at the very tips of the
branches. Is this because it has been overly dry (I'm not sure it has,
actually) or because of the cicada invasion this year? Is there anyone in
here from central Indiana that can explain this?

Giselle (and it's trees all over -- not just mine -- it is everywhere I
look)

We have the same problem in my area and it is due mainly to
the Cicada invasion we had in May and June. If you look at
this page http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage6.htm from my
web site (the last picture) you will see the damage that the
female Cicadas did to many trees. This damage made the
branches weak and many of them died or broke. Fear not,
mother nature will take care of the problem and by next
summer you won't notice the problem.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 26-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Volfie

"Bill R" wrote

We have the same problem in my area and it is due mainly to
the Cicada invasion we had in May and June. If you look at
this page http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage6.htm from my
web site (the last picture) you will see the damage that the
female Cicadas did to many trees. This damage made the
branches weak and many of them died or broke. Fear not,
mother nature will take care of the problem and by next
summer you won't notice the problem.

Thanks, Bill, great photos! Want one of my Scottish Deerhound about to
gobble up a cicada?

Giselle (that's how *I* got rid of them -- fed them to the dogs

Old 26-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Volfie

"Bill R" wrote
Yes, I would love to see that. And if anyone else has any
good Cicada pictures I would love to see them too.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

It's on its way!

Giselle

Old 27-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Suzie-Q

-
- Giselle (and it's trees all over -- not just mine -- it is everywhere I
- look)
-
- We have the same problem in my area and it is due mainly to
- the Cicada invasion we had in May and June. If you look at
- this page http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage6.htm from my
- web site (the last picture) you will see the damage that the
- female Cicadas did to many trees. This damage made the
- branches weak and many of them died or broke. Fear not,
- mother nature will take care of the problem and by next
- summer you won't notice the problem.

Hey, Bill, those are some great photos!!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
ICQ: 349878998

Old 27-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Bill R

Volfie wrote:
"Bill R" wrote

Yes, I would love to see that. And if anyone else has any
good Cicada pictures I would love to see them too.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

It's on its way!

Giselle

Giselle,

I got the picture. Thanks.

Old 27-07-2004, 05:35 AM
Bill R

Suzie-Q wrote:
In article , Bill R
wrote:

- Volfie wrote:
[...]

Thanks Suzie-Q. The Cicada pages are still getting a lot of
visitors so I guess I'll leave them up for a couple more
months.

When the Cicadas were here everyone was complaining about
the noise. Now, a lot of people are asking "when will they
be back?"

Old 27-07-2004, 05:35 AM
Suzie-Q

In article , Bill R
wrote:

- Suzie-Q wrote:
- In article , Bill R
-
- wrote:
-
- - Volfie wrote:
- - I'm new to Indiana (only third summer here) so I'm not sure if what
- I'm
- - seeing is usual or not. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of trees seem to have
- - leaves
- - dying at the very tips of the branches. There are a wide range of
- hardwood
- - trees that I originally thought were changing color very early in the
- - season
- - but now I can see they have dried up leaves at the very tips of the
- - branches. Is this because it has been overly dry (I'm not sure it
- has,
- - actually) or because of the cicada invasion this year? Is there
- anyone in
- - here from central Indiana that can explain this?
- -
[...]

I was in Maryland 17 years ago when they came out. I sort of
enjoyed the noise. It still gets to me that people complain
about the cicada noise keeping them awake when there is no
cicada noise at all after dark. Oh well.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Old 27-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Meagan M Eller

Volfie wrote:

"Bill R" wrote

We have the same problem in my area and it is due mainly to
the Cicada invasion we had in May and June. If you look at

I'm in southern Indiana, and the damage to the trees is most definitely
due to the cicadas. They lay their eggs in the thin branches. When the
branch tips get too thin or multiple cicadas lay in the same branch, they
cut into the middle section where water is carried to the leaves, so the
tips die. Your trees will just have a nice pruning this year and should be
fine next year.

Meagan