Old 28-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Question Storing spent Bulbs from Containers

have had a beautiful display of snowdrops, crocus, daffodils, tulips in different containers which have finished flowering. I've removed the dead flowers to stop seed-heads appearing but now i want to put something else in the containers.

how do i keep them over the summer months until i replant in autumn? I have a cellar which will stay dark and relatively cool, so is it just a case of removing the bulbs & leaves from container, letting the leaves die back and bulbs dry out and then keeping cool & dry over summer?

or do i have to let the leaves die back naturally in containers before removing?

thanks 4 your help
Old 28-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Philippe Gautier

Default Storing spent Bulbs from Containers

Tiger303 wrote:
have had a beautiful display of snowdrops, crocus, daffodils, tulips in
different containers which have finished flowering. I've removed the
dead flowers to stop seed-heads appearing but now i want to put
something else in the containers.

how do i keep them over the summer months until i replant in autumn? I
have a cellar which will stay dark and relatively cool, so is it just a
case of removing the bulbs & leaves from container, letting the leaves
die back and bulbs dry out and then keeping cool & dry over summer?

or do i have to let the leaves die back naturally in containers before
removing?

Hi, I ususally plant them somwhere in the garden and leave them to
"regenerate" until the leaves die back. I consider that they are
probably not good enough for another season in a container, but
sometimes, they still give a nice display in the garden.

Philippe
Old 28-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Kay Easton

In article m,
Tiger303 writes
have had a beautiful display of snowdrops, crocus, daffodils, tulips in
different containers which have finished flowering. I've removed the
dead flowers to stop seed-heads appearing but now i want to put
something else in the containers.

how do i keep them over the summer months until i replant in autumn? I
have a cellar which will stay dark and relatively cool, so is it just a
case of removing the bulbs & leaves from container, letting the leaves
die back and bulbs dry out and then keeping cool & dry over summer?

or do i have to let the leaves die back naturally in containers before
removing?

The leaves that are green now are building up food reserves in the bulb
which will allow the bulbs to flower next year. If you encourage the
leaves to die back prematurely you will stop this process reduce your
chances of flowering next year, and over several years the bulbs will
shrink in size.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Containers for storing apples Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 17 28-08-2008 09:12 PM
Storing bulbs and tubers Stuart Noble United Kingdom 2 09-03-2008 01:36 PM
Storing tulip bulbs higgledy Gardening 4 27-04-2006 03:49 PM
lifting and storing bulbs Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 3 05-04-2006 07:24 PM
storing rhyzomes and bulbs Sallyrat&Sweetie Gardening 1 22-06-2005 10:30 PM