Old 30-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Volfie

Default Dandelions with multiple heads

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Volfie"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote
Are you positive it's a dandelion? Just guessing, but multiple
heads with dandelion-like flowers could be a type of hawkweed:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_2.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...awkweed_3.html

Yep, I'm absolutely positive it's a dandelion. I wish I had a scanner

so I
could show you how odd they are. I dried some of them. The stem was
actually about an inch wide on the biggest one -- sort of wide and flat

like
a lot of stems joined side by side. Then it was capped with all these

heads
all jumbled together, not on individual stems. They were so tightly

packed
sometimes, that I couldn't get a good count.

Giselle (same year but in a slightly different area I also got a zinnia

with
two heads, a black-eyed susan with two and a co-joined cherry.

There are eleven invasive species of hawkweeds introduced into the US from
England. Several have the kind of multi-flowers you describe, & I think
Joe has it right. What Hieracium species do not have is the big carrot
taproot of a true dandylion, so they're easier to pull up root & all.
Sundry species crossbreed willynilly so identifying which species of
Hieracium can be difficult or impossible. Other genera that look like
dandylions include Hypochoeris & Sonchus, but it is Hieracium spp that
produce the multiflowered stemheads, with H. pratense the most common of
the eleven invaders & the most insistant on multi-headed flowerstems,
though severaql others are also likelier candidates than any Taraxacum
officianale dandylion going mutant.

-paghat the ratgirl

Ah, geez, guys.... I may not know what an Orchid cactus is but I know what
a dandelion is.

Giselle (some day I will get photos for you. I dried one double that was
still in the flowering state)

Old 30-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Volfie

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Volfie"
wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 02:27 AM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 10:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 09:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 04-02-2003 11:04 PM