Old 30-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Doug Kanter

Default How to Stop Overgrowth Behind Garage

"Philip Edward Lewis" wrote in message
du...

of course paghat's "impermiable layer" of groundcover is great too....
it'll likely look much nicer, but will likely require at least a little

more
work over time. I've not alot of expereance with the groundcovers in
that enviroment, but i know i've seen weeds, etc popping through some
pretty thick stuff.

I agree, but try and poke through pond liner sometime. It seems to be
somewhat fibrous - hard to cut even with tin snips.

Old 30-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Vox Humana

"Philip Edward Lewis" wrote in message
du...

of course paghat's "impermiable layer" of groundcover is great too....
it'll likely look much nicer, but will likely require at least a little

more
work over time. I've not alot of expereance with the groundcovers in
that enviroment, but i know i've seen weeds, etc popping through some
pretty thick stuff.

There will be weeds in groundcover, especially the first few years.
Eventually, they will all but disappear. You can use a preemergent
herbicide to control annual weeds. Preen has a formulation for
groundcover. The worst situation is when you get a vining weeds in a vining
groundcover. I have an area of vinca that became invaded with a sequence of
wild honeysuckle, then persicaria, and finally wild strawberry. I still get
the occasional volunteer tree or perennial in the area, but they are easy to
control. Hostas are one of the best groundcovers for me. They block out
the sun so completely that I never get weeds in areas that are thickly
planted with hostas. There are hostas that will grow in about any condition
with the exception of standing water, especial in winter. I find that gold
standard is a good grower and it will brighten a shady area. Lancifolia
also grows like a weed as does aureo-marginata and undulata mediovariegata.
I get good results with hosta shade fanfare in full sun. Lancifolia also
thrives in full sun but does equally well in mostly shade.

Old 31-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Zemedelec

My candidate: liriope--grasslike, short, but it has those pretty pale purple
flowers from time to time, loves shade, and wipes out everything else in its
path.
zemedelec

Old 01-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Vox Humana

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
My candidate: liriope--grasslike, short, but it has those pretty pale

purple
flowers from time to time, loves shade, and wipes out everything else in

its
path.
zemedelec

Ajuga is another good one and it comes in several colors and has flowers in
the spring.