Old 03-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Wil

Default Don't feed the troll

Some types of newsgroup posters get their jollies by disrupting a
discussion. It is best to not feed the troll with comments. Since I have
finally identifed one such troll I have plonked him. If you don't feed him
he will go back under his bridge.

--
Wil

Old 03-08-2004, 04:39 PM
zxcvbob

Wil wrote:
Some types of newsgroup posters get their jollies by disrupting a
discussion. It is best to not feed the troll with comments. Since I have
finally identifed one such troll I have plonked him. If you don't feed him
he will go back under his bridge.

You've got the right idea, but etymology is wrong. Here's an illustration:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html

Bob
Old 03-08-2004, 05:00 PM
David Kotschessa

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, zxcvbob wrote:

Wil wrote:
Some types of newsgroup posters get their jollies by disrupting a
discussion. It is best to not feed the troll with comments. Since I have
finally identifed one such troll I have plonked him. If you don't feed
him
he will go back under his bridge.

You've got the right idea, but etymology is wrong. Here's an illustration:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html

Bob

Hmm, but what is the etymology of the word trolling as it relates to
fishing? hmmm?

I'm just wondering if somehow it doesn't go back to the little dude under
the bridge anyway, in which case you'd both be right!

Old 03-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Wil

Wil wrote:
Some types of newsgroup posters get their jollies by disrupting a
discussion. It is best to not feed the troll with comments. Since I

have
finally identifed one such troll I have plonked him. If you don't feed
him
he will go back under his bridge.

You've got the right idea, but etymology is wrong. Here's an

illustration:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html

Bob

Hmm, but what is the etymology of the word trolling as it relates to
fishing? hmmm?

I'm just wondering if somehow it doesn't go back to the little dude under
the bridge anyway, in which case you'd both be right!

g etymology? Perhaps I should have said the trill will put his lure away
and go drown himself? :-) But the one of which I speak reminds me more of
the ugly creature young children are afraid of in Three Billy Goats Gruff.

Wil

Old 03-08-2004, 05:47 PM
David Kotschessa

Wil wrote:
Some types of newsgroup posters get their jollies by disrupting a
discussion. It is best to not feed the troll with comments. Since I

have
finally identifed one such troll I have plonked him. If you don't feed
him
he will go back under his bridge.

You've got the right idea, but etymology is wrong. Here's an

illustration:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html

Bob

Hmm, but what is the etymology of the word trolling as it relates to
fishing? hmmm?

I'm just wondering if somehow it doesn't go back to the little dude under
the bridge anyway, in which case you'd both be right!

g etymology?

Oh, did I duplicate a typo? I know that there is a study of bugs and a
study of origins of words and I always get them mixed up!

{looks it up}

No way, that's right. hehe

Perhaps I should have said the trill will put his lure away
and go drown himself? :-) But the one of which I speak reminds me more of
the ugly creature young children are afraid of in Three Billy Goats Gruff.

Wil

I think they both work, IMO!

Old 03-08-2004, 05:58 PM
David Kotschessa

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, David Kotschessa wrote:

No way, that's right. hehe

Should have said "No wait, that's right." {mutter}

Old 03-08-2004, 05:58 PM
David Kotschessa

Old 03-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Cereus-validus

So take you own advice and stop being an offensive disruptive pest, TROLL
boy.

Plonk yourself!!!

Old 03-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Wil

--

"David Kotschessa" wrote in message
g etymology?

Oh, did I duplicate a typo? I know that there is a study of bugs and a
study of origins of words and I always get them mixed up!

{looks it up}

No way, that's right. hehe

Naaa...I just g grinned because you pulled out the 50 cent word for a
troll.

Wil

Old 03-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Wil

"Wil" wrote in message
"David Kotschessa" wrote in message
g etymology?

Oh, did I duplicate a typo? I know that there is a study of bugs and a
study of origins of words and I always get them mixed up!

{looks it up}

No way, that's right. hehe

Naaa...I just g grinned because you pulled out the 50 cent word for a
troll.

Wil

Oops, sorry David, wasn't you with the 50 cent word

Wil

Old 03-08-2004, 11:15 PM
David Kotschessa

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Wil wrote:

"Wil" wrote in message
"David Kotschessa" wrote in message
g etymology?

Oh, did I duplicate a typo? I know that there is a study of bugs and a
study of origins of words and I always get them mixed up!

{looks it up}

No way, that's right. hehe

Naaa...I just g grinned because you pulled out the 50 cent word for a
troll.

Wil

Oops, sorry David, wasn't you with the 50 cent word

Wil

I'm glad we could deliniate this little conundrum in a satisfactory
manner. (eh, those are like 25 centers)

Old 04-08-2004, 01:06 AM
zxcvbob

David Kotschessa wrote:

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Wil wrote:

"Wil" wrote in message

"David Kotschessa" wrote in message

g etymology?

Oh, did I duplicate a typo? I know that there is a study of bugs and a
study of origins of words and I always get them mixed up!

{looks it up}

No way, that's right. hehe

Naaa...I just g grinned because you pulled out the 50 cent word for a
troll.

Wil

Oops, sorry David, wasn't you with the 50 cent word

Wil

I'm glad we could deliniate this little conundrum in a satisfactory
manner. (eh, those are like 25 centers)

But since you used 2 of 'em, we are right back where we started with 50¢
worth. :-(

Best regards,
Bob

--
"We thought about it for a long time, 'Endeavor to persevere.'
And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the