Old 25-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Jenny

Default Vine for deep shade?

Is there any vine that will grow in Zone 5 deep shade besides ivy. This is
next to a house and I don't want it messing up the walls or foundation.

BTW, thanks to everyone who encouraged me on my non-blooming shady dahlias.
They're blooming now!

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
hba1c 5.7 .
Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

Old 26-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Jenny" in
:

Is there any vine that will grow in Zone 5 deep shade besides ivy.
This is next to a house and I don't want it messing up the walls or
foundation.

only something huge, like wisteria, and planted close, would damage
foundations..
is the vine ot be a ground cover, or supported on trellis, or??
Old 26-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Guglielmo Portas

"Jenny" wrote in message ...
Is there any vine that will grow in Zone 5 deep shade besides ivy. This is
next to a house and I don't want it messing up the walls or foundation.

I put in a few climbing hydrangea vines back in June. While they're
not "thriving", I think they'll at least make it and cover a fence I
have in the shade within a year or 2. Chicago, zone 5. Honeysuckle
might work too- depends how deep that shade is.
Old 26-08-2004, 03:33 PM

virginia creeper wont eat walls.

" wrote:

"Jenny" in
:

Is there any vine that will grow in Zone 5 deep shade besides ivy.
This is next to a house and I don't want it messing up the walls or
foundation.

only something huge, like wisteria, and planted close, would damage
foundations..
is the vine ot be a ground cover, or supported on trellis, or??

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 27-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Jenny

I'm looking for something that will grow up on a trellis-style deck railing
(the criss-cross kind) and ideally block the view north.

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
hba1c 5.7 .
Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

" wrote in message
"Jenny" in
:

Old 31-08-2004, 04:34 AM
Jenny

Creeping fig won't survive in Zone 5.

The fall clematis looks like it might work.

I've got surprisingly nice morning glories growing all over the east and
south side of the deck that needs something on the north side, and these
vines are only getting maybe 3 hours of light because the house shades them.
They bloomed late, but the past couple weeks they've been putting on a very
nice show. I've got both the Heavenly Blue and some magenta ones.

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
hba1c 5.7 .
Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

"Roy" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:49:29 -0400, wrote:

===On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:33:10 GMT,
wrote:
===
===virginia creeper wont eat walls.
===
===Is that true? I have some creeper that wants to grow up my stucco
===walls. I'd love to let them but I worry that they'd damage the

walls.
===
===Swyck

Virginia creep may crawl up a wall but when you remove it it does not
harm the wall at all like some vines do. Its all in the manner in
which vines stick to walls and the ability of some to infiltrate a
minute opening and grow inside the eaves etc.......Virginia creeper is
pretty well behaved, at least on my property, easy to remove, and has
yet to destroy anything.

How about some Creeping Fig, now that vine will cover a house in a few
years, and it uses a barnacle type thingie to adhere to walls, but it
sure is nice. If a vine has twining or tendacles it needs some kind of
support to allow it to grip and grow........such as jasimine or
honeysuckle. Been told creeping fig needs some sun, but the stuff I
planted on the north side sees sun light rarely, and its growing
great.

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 31-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Roy

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:34:48 -0400, "Jenny"
wrote:

===Creeping fig won't survive in Zone 5.

snip

Interesting.......the info I got at numerous nurseries on creeping fig
was that its a very common vine that grows in Europe, and in places
like Germany and France etc it is what is usually seen covering lots
of those old houses and stone walls etc.......