Old 30-08-2004, 04:47 PM
peter

Default where to buy Chinese Evergreen?

I'm looking for a pot of Chinese Evergreen. I casually looked around in one
or two department/grocery stores but did not find it. Is it a common enough
plant that I could find in home depot or do I need to go to a nursery?

Old 31-08-2004, 02:32 AM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:47:47 +0000, peter wrote:

I'm looking for a pot of Chinese Evergreen. I casually looked around in one
or two department/grocery stores but did not find it. Is it a common enough
plant that I could find in home depot or do I need to go to a nursery?

You should have NO problem finding it at Home depot or Lowes. I see them
there ALL the time. I got a big one in a 10-12 inch pot this year from HD.

Tom

Old 31-08-2004, 11:17 PM
madgardener

You can ALWAYS find them at Lowes and Depraived (Despot....er, Depot) but
check the center leaf worls for mealy bugs before purchasing. We got in a
beautiful shipment of three gallon tropical plants with three different
kinds of Chinese evergreens, and every durn one of them had mealies. I
treated the pots (the pots were $5.98 by the way) with pyrethrum spray,
isolated the plants for a week, treated them again three days later and sold
them for reduced. They were pest free by the time I marked them down, and I
assured the people who bought them I had killed the mealies. I sprayed not
only the undersides of the leaves, but down into the newer growth, and soil
as well. I told customers to watch for any possible survivors, and to spray
with simple rubbing alcohol. 99% of the customers were happy with their
reduced plants, I have to say. There are three or four patterned varieties
out. They adore shady spots inside the house, and the eastern or northern
sides of the porch or deck in spring and summer. That's where mine is now.
I'll treat it for mealies before bringing it inside for winter before frost
though as mealies adore it's tender stems.
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
news