Old 05-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Raane

Default Help with identifying/locating houseplant

Years ago I had a plant I loved. With a quick glance, it gave the
impression of a hanging spider plant, only because of the coloration
which was light green and white/cream stripes.

It's growth habit was more like a "wandering jew" (Tradescantia
zebrina) - hanging, and growing from the tips, rather than a central
point as a spider plant does. The leaves were long and thin, almost
ribbon-like, with gently rounded tips. The hanging stems often angled
somewhat at some of the leaf-nodes, making these nodes look a little
bit elbow-like. I remember that slips rooted easily in water.

Is this description ringing a bell? Can anyone tell me the name of
this plant or where I might purchase one - or have a slip to spare?
Any help in tracking it down would be appreciated!

Christine
Old 05-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Cereus-validus

Have you looked in the more exotic type stores such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot
or Lowes?

Its such a common plant in the horticultural trade, you really shouldn't be
having any trouble finding it.

Tradescantia zebrina used to be called Zebrina pendula.

m...

Old 06-09-2004, 01:22 AM
Raane

Either your Home Depot has much more interesting things than mine or I
must be describing it poorly. I aplogize. Only it's growth habit is
similar to Zebrina pendula. The leaves are longer near the base,
shorter at the growing tip. Most leaves are between two and three
inches in length - some longer - but not more than a quarter of an
inch wide, very long, narrow and ribbon-like.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message .com...
Have you looked in the more exotic type stores such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot
or Lowes?

Its such a common plant in the horticultural trade, you really shouldn't be
having any trouble finding it.

Tradescantia zebrina used to be called Zebrina pendula.

m...

Old 06-09-2004, 03:15 AM
Cereus-validus

Hey babe,

Sorry to inform you but Tradescantia zebrina and Zebrina pendula are two
different names for the exact same species.

You just might need to wait untill next spring when your local stores get
their new shipments of hanging basket plants.

"Raane" wrote in message
m...
Either your Home Depot has much more interesting things than mine or I
must be describing it poorly. I aplogize. Only it's growth habit is
similar to Zebrina pendula. The leaves are longer near the base,
shorter at the growing tip. Most leaves are between two and three
inches in length - some longer - but not more than a quarter of an
inch wide, very long, narrow and ribbon-like.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message

.com...
Have you looked in the more exotic type stores such as Wal-Mart, Home

Depot
or Lowes?

Its such a common plant in the horticultural trade, you really shouldn't

be
having any trouble finding it.

Tradescantia zebrina used to be called Zebrina pendula.

m...