Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Mook Johnson

Default Oak tree care in houston

Hi folks,

First time posting here so be patient if I ask FAQ or silly questions.

I built a house last year on a 1/3 acre lot with 5 full grown oaks in the
back, 2 young (10ft tall) oaks in the front and a unidentified tree (ash
maybe) in the side.

My neighbors have had there trees suddendly die on them after 8 or so months
of living in the house. The guy that cleared them out said it was boring
insects that got them.

I trimmed a dead limb off the Ash (i think) with a rope chain and the limb
had some pencil sized bore holes in it. I dug out what looked to be deab
bug coons or something.

I called a profesional tree service and they quoted $350 to fertilize and
treat the trees with (A) PHC for trees and super seaweed, and (B) Permethrin
TC for boring insects.

They also offered a tree trimming service quote for $790 for the trees
mentioned above.

Are these reasonable prices? Is there something I can do DIY to protect my
trees?

The soil here is mostly gray clay and it has been very dry since June.

thanks