Old 12-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Warren

paghat wrote:

I've never in my life met anyone who enjoyed buying unhealthy sickly
plants. Unhealthy plants invite disease, which spreads to healthy
plants.

Who said anything about disease?

Unhealthy does not equal disease.

Healthy appearing plants may be harboring disease, and unhealthy plants
aren't necessarily unhealthy because of disease.

shopping for stuff other people have started, but waiting
until it is abused & sickly & on sale, just sounds loony,

That's like saying people who go out and help abused children are loony.
Should they just reproduce, and turn a blind eye towards things they
haven't raised themselves?

If socks was the comparison, going for the unhealthy sickly plants
would
be like buying dirty socks with big holes in the heals from hobos for
the
sheer joy of seeing if you could successfully get rid of the fungal
diseases before you pulled them parasitized & disease-ridden over your
feet.

You missed the whole point. Going out and buying socks is _boring_.
Anyone can do it. It takes no special skills, and there is no thrill
involved. "Ooooo... Look at that! A perfect shade of gray!" Yeah. I see
a lot of people who's hobby is buying socks.

Seeing the potential in a plant that has not been cared for properly,
and then bringing that potential out is a thrill. I can go out and buy a
big, full, ready to fruit next year blueberry bush, or I can buy that
scraggly little thing that the folks at Home Depot are about to throw in
the dumpster. To you, once I get it to fruit, the fruit may taste no
different. To me, it's an accomplishment. There's no accomplishment
involved in getting fruit from the perfect bush. Anyone could buy that
bush and get the same results.

And you seem to be obsessed with disease. No one else had even brought
it up yet, but you seem to have decided that's what's being talked
about.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Cooking with Intense Heat
http://www.holzemville.com/community...eat/index.html

Old 12-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Cereus-validus

Who said anything about disease?
Unhealthy does not equal disease.

Aren't you the optimist, Warren.

Maybe that can be your epitaph?

Would you like that?

You are just like the stubborn fool that refuses to see the doctor and then
drops dead from an easily curable disease!!!

No matter if you try to sugar coat a turd, its still a turd!!!
You may claim its good to eat but nobody else will believe you!!

Old 12-09-2004, 11:28 PM
escapee

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:34:39 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
opined:

If the plants were any good, they would have been vigorous when you bought
them without the need to coax them along for years.

Buying sick plants is a foolish thing to do regardless of your ultimate
results. The risks far outweigh any possible reward, especially when you are
buying generic plants of little value in the first place.

Ordinarily, you are right. If I see an entire nursery full of crap, I walk
around just in case, but if I see a clearance section where all I have to do is
cut the thing back and water/fertilize the poor thing, I will may times buy
excellent bargains for 24 cents. I bought many trees this way, also. However,
I agree with the nurturing for years. Nothing I buy is that down the road of
perdition.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:40 PM
paghat

In article nV21d.36364$D%.28095@attbi_s51, "Warren"
wrote:

paghat wrote:

I've never in my life met anyone who enjoyed buying unhealthy sickly
plants. Unhealthy plants invite disease, which spreads to healthy
plants.

Who said anything about disease?

Unhealthy does not equal disease.

Healthy appearing plants may be harboring disease, and unhealthy plants
aren't necessarily unhealthy because of disease.

Stressed plants invite diseases to degrees healthy vigorous plants do not.

shopping for stuff other people have started, but waiting
until it is abused & sickly & on sale, just sounds loony,

That's like saying people who go out and help abused children are loony.

Now for sure THAT'S loony. Abused children are not plants. If they were,
making a house out of lumber, or using a branch for firewood, would be
inherently evil acts on par with crimes against humanity, & the compost
heap should be on blessed holy ground, while you should be carted away to
prison for mowing the lawn.

Should they just reproduce, and turn a blind eye towards things they
haven't raised themselves?

If socks was the comparison, going for the unhealthy sickly plants
would
be like buying dirty socks with big holes in the heals from hobos for
the
sheer joy of seeing if you could successfully get rid of the fungal
diseases before you pulled them parasitized & disease-ridden over your
feet.

You missed the whole point. Going out and buying socks is _boring_.

I just bought some bright red socks with white pokadots. They're a joy on
my feetsies. If they were worn out & needed fixing, THAT would be both
boring & a nuisance.

Buying healthy vigorous plants & maintaining healthy vigorous plants in
one's gardens is most certainly never boring.

Seeing the potential in a plant that has not been cared for properly,
and then bringing that potential out is a thrill. I can go out and buy a
big, full, ready to fruit next year blueberry bush, or I can buy that
scraggly little thing that the folks at Home Depot are about to throw in
the dumpster. To you, once I get it to fruit, the fruit may taste no
different. To me, it's an accomplishment. There's no accomplishment
involved in getting fruit from the perfect bush. Anyone could buy that
bush and get the same results.

The occasional freebie otherwise destined for the compost heap or dumpster
can score very high on the cheapskate scale, & I've certainly been pleased
by many such freebies over time, but it's a delusion to believe it takes
some special skill to "save" a plant that just needed watering. If I
wanted a super blueberry bush however, I'd obtain a HEALTHY young bare
root & raise it to maturity very skillfully. If you personally get some
deeper thrill out of having ugly plants for a year or two then suddenly
they bounce back, & you couldn't've been nearly as happy about it if your
garden had looked nicer sooner, then you certainly should continue to go
this route. But it's a peculiar & very personal preference, & it takes no
special skill whatsoever.

And you seem to be obsessed with disease. No one else had even brought
it up yet, but you seem to have decided that's what's being talked
about.

If you're intentionally planting stressed plants, then you're inviting
diseases, funguses, & insect pests into your garden for no good reason.
Nature is very handy that way, culling the weak. Now if you WERE
intentionally inviting diseases because the diseases & pests were of
personal interest to you, that would make more sense; plant diseases can
be fascinating to study, & experimenting with techniques of eradication of
diseases can potentiall be very useful to everyone. Not, however, anything
like saving abused children, or even abused dogs. Plants are PLANTS, &
unlike with children, it's even okay to eat them.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 13-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Warren

paghat wrote:
The occasional freebie otherwise destined for the compost heap or
dumpster
can score very high on the cheapskate scale, & I've certainly been
pleased
by many such freebies over time

Then you are guilty of the very thing you are riling about.

Go flog yourself for "intentionally planting stressed plants, then

Old 13-09-2004, 03:22 AM
S. M. Henning

Phisherman wrote:

The condition of plants depends on the garden
manager at the store.

if you wait too long that is true. the trick is to be there when they
come off the truck. then they can't screw them up.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 13-09-2004, 03:25 AM
Jim Carlock

"Cereus-validus" wrote in response to Warren who stated:
Who said anything about disease?
Unhealthy does not equal disease.

Aren't you the optimist, Warren.

Karl Marx is known to have said, "I am not a Marxist."

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old 13-09-2004, 05:02 AM
tennis maynard

If they learned to simply water their plants, they may have not had this

happen.

Actually, their extremely high pricing is probablty more to blame.

Old 13-09-2004, 07:15 AM
paghat

In article tx61d.165852$9d6.42867@attbi_s54, "Warren"
wrote:

paghat wrote:
The occasional freebie otherwise destined for the compost heap or
dumpster
can score very high on the cheapskate scale, & I've certainly been
pleased
by many such freebies over time

Then you are guilty of the very thing you are riling about.

Go flog yourself for "intentionally planting stressed plants, then
you're inviting
diseases, funguses, & insect pests into your garden for no good reason."

Cheapskate meter does sometimes override common sense. On the other hand,
the ultra-cheapies & freebies I've gotten (from quality nurseries) were
jack in the pulpits & monkshoods & trout lilies which some nurseries would
rather jettison than care for until the following spring. Not quite the
same as being moronic enough to intentionally bring home stressed plants,
but without denying that it would be moronic, cheapness might override
intelligent decisions sometime. I wouldn't have to convince myself that
such a bad decision was the same thing as saving children from abuse. That
self-deception was really crazy.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 13-09-2004, 07:24 AM
paghat

In article , "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in response to Warren who stated:
Who said anything about disease?
Unhealthy does not equal disease.

Aren't you the optimist, Warren.

Karl Marx is known to have said, "I am not a Marxist."

I thought the correct quote was "I am not a marmoset."

Other great Marx quotations:

"I'd horsewhip you if I had a horse."

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

"If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you
can leave in a minute & a huff."

"While hunting in Africa, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How an
elephant got into my pajamas I'll never know."

"I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're
upstairs in my socks."

"I have nothing but confidence in you. And very little of that."

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 15-09-2004, 12:06 AM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:34:58 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:
Oh no.

So now the only places we can buy crappy plants is Lowes and Home Depot?

I have mixed feelings about this. Frank's is pretty much where I got
my start at gardening, and I still remember the joy I got out of my
first plantings and containers.

As I've gotten more experienced I've spread out beyond Franks, as well
as Lowe's and Home Depot. There are a lot of fine local nurseries,
some with excellent prices. I still stop in Franks, Lowe's and HD,
but more for potting soil or other implements, and I still like to
walk around the plant section for the occasional sale.

Lowe does seem to be the best at indoor plants in my area, S.Jersey.
I haven't found any other place else that has any selection or
quality. Franks has long ago gone downhill in that department, though
I'd still call it second best there. Maybe I'm just not looking in
the right places. Not that I really need any more indoor plants mind
you.

The spring bulbs section is what I enjoyed the most about Franks.
Most local nurseries seem to have a meager section. Its almost as if
bulbs were an afterthought. Franks had a nice layout, and I always
wanted to plant everything I saw. Come to think of it, where am I
going to buy my Jan Reus tulips this year? I'll have to look online.

Swyck
Old 15-09-2004, 01:20 AM
BasketWeaver

I know what you're saying, Swyck. I knew I could always get
fresh evergreen garlands and wreaths for the holiday season at a decent
price
at Frank's, now I'm not sure where I'll find them. Pam

Old 15-09-2004, 05:18 AM
Salty Thumb

"Warren" wrote in news:nV21d.36364$D%.28095
@attbi_s51:

You missed the whole point. Going out and buying socks is _boring_.
Anyone can do it. It takes no special skills, and there is no thrill
involved. "Ooooo... Look at that! A perfect shade of gray!" Yeah. I see
a lot of people who's hobby is buying socks.

apparently you have not gone on the post-shoe shopping accessorizing
exPEDition with my ex-girlfriend.
Old 15-09-2004, 12:29 PM
TOM KAN PA

At our local Home Depot, "they" don't water the plants. They have a service
that comes in and takes care of the watering, sprucing up, etc..

[IMG] code is On

OT heron news story kathy Ponds 4 25-01-2005 08:21 PM
Greenwood Nursery News Earl Buchan Gardening 0 04-11-2003 05:42 AM
Weekly Nursery News Earl Buchan Gardening 0 27-10-2003 10:12 PM
start with something like physan or maybe a weak frank mitch newton bleach mix. fmn2 Orchids 0 09-08-2003 06:32 PM
Frank Stokes Marie Stokes Bonsai 0 20-05-2003 04:32 PM