Old 15-09-2004, 09:37 PM
S. M. Henning

Default What are these flowers?

While in New Zealand we visited a garden in an area north of Rotorua
where people can grow tender Vireya Rhododendrons in their gardens and
saw these flowers.

http://home.dejazzd.com/shenning/55.jpg

I have no idea what they are. I thought they might be a Chinese Primula
but they apparently don't come in blues and these came in white,
lavendar, light blue and blue. It is not a typical primula leaf.

Please help me. I am giving a talk to a garden club about NZ
rhododendrons but it would be great it I could give some clue as to what
these flowers are. I am curious also.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 15-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Pam - gardengal

They are cineraria or Pericallis x hybridus (syn. Cineraria cruentus), a
member of the aster family native to the Canary Islands. Normally sold as an
annual or flowering houseplant in this country, they like the similar moist,
shady conditions of primulas.

pam - gardengal

news

Old 16-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Cereus-validus

Absolutely right on, Pam.

You beat me to it.

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
They are cineraria or Pericallis x hybridus (syn. Cineraria cruentus), a
member of the aster family native to the Canary Islands. Normally sold as

an
annual or flowering houseplant in this country, they like the similar

moist,
shady conditions of primulas.

pam - gardengal

news

Old 16-09-2004, 04:48 AM
S. M. Henning

"Pam - gardengal" wrote:

http://home.dejazzd.com/shenning/55.jpg

They are cineraria or Pericallis x hybridus (syn. Cineraria cruentus), a
member of the aster family native to the Canary Islands. Normally sold as an
annual or flowering houseplant in this country, they like the similar moist,
shady conditions of primulas.

Thanks very much. You hit it right on the head.