Old 19-09-2004, 07:52 PM
MPost

Default White powder on peony leaves

My peonies bloomed decently this year, but now (long after the flowers have
faded), the leaves of all of my plants have a white powder coating them.
Perhaps some sort of mildew? Should I be doing anything special, or just
trim them down to the ground in the fall as I typically do?

Old 19-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:52:07 +0000, MPost wrote:

My peonies bloomed decently this year, but now (long after the flowers have
faded), the leaves of all of my plants have a white powder coating them.
Perhaps some sort of mildew? Should I be doing anything special, or just
trim them down to the ground in the fall as I typically do?

It's Powdery mildew. Not much you can do now. cut down but do NOT add to
the compost heap. In the spring when the leaves come out spray with a good
fungicide. Read it's lable before using and follow directions. I'm going
to try "Organicide" next year myself.

Old 20-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:52:07 GMT, "MPost"
wrote:

My peonies bloomed decently this year, but now (long after the flowers have
faded), the leaves of all of my plants have a white powder coating them.
Perhaps some sort of mildew? Should I be doing anything special, or just
trim them down to the ground in the fall as I typically do?

Yes, probably some kind of mildew. Put the trimmings into the trash.
More sun and ventilation will help prevent fungus. There are
anti-fungal products you can use (next year) such as "Messenger."

Old 20-09-2004, 03:49 AM
James

"MPost" wrote in message
My peonies bloomed decently this year, but now (long after the flowers

have
faded), the leaves of all of my plants have a white powder coating them.
Perhaps some sort of mildew? Should I be doing anything special, or just
trim them down to the ground in the fall as I typically do?

You can prevent the buildup of powdery mildew with a formula from the
kitchen. Combine 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of dishwashing
liquid and add to a gallon of water. Apply weekly.

Probably not enough time left this year to see if it helps. I'd just cut it
down and watch for it next year.

Old 20-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:32:31 +0000, MPost wrote:

Thanks. Should I cut down now, or wait until it gets colder out? (I live in
New England.)

You could do it now or wait until they start pooping out. That's a garden
technical term.