Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Ophelia

Default white powder on leaves

A while ago when my peas were finished I noticed there was what looked like
a white powder on the leaves. I noticed that some of the weeds that have
grown near there, which I went to clear out, have it too.

I am sure everyone except me will know exactly what it is but not me

Is this something that will spread? What can I do about it?

Ophelia

Old 30-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Victoria Clare

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

A while ago when my peas were finished I noticed there was what looked
like a white powder on the leaves. I noticed that some of the weeds
that have grown near there, which I went to clear out, have it too.

I am sure everyone except me will know exactly what it is but not me

Is this something that will spread? What can I do about it?

Mildew - it's because it's been such a dry year.

Clear the affected plants, and next year, water well and often (or pray for
rain).

I tend to compost mildewy things, but I suspect I should really burn them.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 30-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Chris Stewart

"Ophelia" wrote in message
A while ago when my peas were finished I noticed there was what looked

like
a white powder on the leaves. I noticed that some of the weeds that have
grown near there, which I went to clear out, have it too.

I am sure everyone except me will know exactly what it is but not me

Is this something that will spread? What can I do about it?

Ophelia

Hi Ophelia,
It's most probably botrytis (spelling?) a mould which is often
associated with plants in dry spells - it should give no probs next year -
you can spray with all sorts of nasties, but watering and a good root system
are all that's needed. (usually!)
Chris S

Old 30-10-2003, 06:12 PM
keith

it sounds like powdery mildew, its all over this year due to the weather,it
will probably be on perennials which will be dieing back anyway so I
wouldn't worry about it ,just cut them back . they will come back with fresh
new growth,you can spray with chemicals earlier in the year to try and
control it but I have found it doesn't really work,it just delays.I just let
the garden get on with it!
keith

Old 30-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Ophelia

"keith" wrote in message
it sounds like powdery mildew, its all over this year due to the

weather,it
will probably be on perennials which will be dieing back anyway so I
wouldn't worry about it ,just cut them back . they will come back with

fresh
new growth,you can spray with chemicals earlier in the year to try and
control it but I have found it doesn't really work,it just delays.I just

let
the garden get on with it!
keith

Thanks very much Keith

Ophelia

Old 30-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Ophelia

"Chris Stewart" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
A while ago when my peas were finished I noticed there was what looked

like
a white powder on the leaves. I noticed that some of the weeds that

have
grown near there, which I went to clear out, have it too.

I am sure everyone except me will know exactly what it is but not me

Is this something that will spread? What can I do about it?

Ophelia

Hi Ophelia,
It's most probably botrytis (spelling?) a mould which is often
associated with plants in dry spells - it should give no probs next year -
you can spray with all sorts of nasties, but watering and a good root

system
are all that's needed. (usually!)
Chris S

Thanks Chris.. I would rather not spray

Ophelia

Old 30-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Ophelia

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

A while ago when my peas were finished I noticed there was what looked
like a white powder on the leaves. I noticed that some of the weeds
that have grown near there, which I went to clear out, have it too.

I am sure everyone except me will know exactly what it is but not me

Is this something that will spread? What can I do about it?

Mildew - it's because it's been such a dry year.

Clear the affected plants, and next year, water well and often (or pray

for
rain).

I tend to compost mildewy things, but I suspect I should really burn them.

Thank you Victoria

I hope it is ok to compost them 'cos I have done that too

Ophelia

Old 30-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Kay Easton

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
Mildew - it's because it's been such a dry year.

Clear the affected plants, and next year, water well and often (or pray

for
rain).

I tend to compost mildewy things, but I suspect I should really burn them.

I've always assumed that mildew is just one of the many things that
helps the general breaking down into soil, and would therefore be an
asset rather than otherwise. But I may be completely wrong.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 30-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Ophelia" wrote in message
A while ago when my peas were finished I noticed there was what looked

like
a white powder on the leaves. I noticed that some of the weeds that have
grown near there, which I went to clear out, have it too.

I am sure everyone except me will know exactly what it is but not me

Is this something that will spread? What can I do about it?

I strongly suspect mildew, from your brief description. If I were you, I
would not worry too much about it. It is mainly in the confined spaces of
greenhouses that mildew is a real pain in the neck.

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

A while ago when my peas were finished I noticed there was what looked
like a white powder on the leaves. I noticed that some of the weeds
that have grown near there, which I went to clear out, have it too.

I am sure everyone except me will know exactly what it is but not me

Is this something that will spread? What can I do about it?

Mildew - it's because it's been such a dry year.

Clear the affected plants, and next year, water well and often (or pray

for
rain).

I tend to compost mildewy things, but I suspect I should really burn them.

Whether you burn your affected plants or put them on the compost heap will
not affect the mildew population in the heap noticeably. A good compost
heap has a large mildew population. It is one of the fungi whose job it is
to decompose the plant material. So, do continue to put mildewed material
on the heap.

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Ophelia

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
Mildew - it's because it's been such a dry year.

Clear the affected plants, and next year, water well and often (or pray

for
rain).

I tend to compost mildewy things, but I suspect I should really burn

them.

I've always assumed that mildew is just one of the many things that
helps the general breaking down into soil, and would therefore be an
asset rather than otherwise. But I may be completely wrong.

Gosh that is very interesting. Can you enlarge upon that please?

Old 30-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Ophelia
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
Mildew - it's because it's been such a dry year.

Clear the affected plants, and next year, water well and often (or pray
for
rain).

I tend to compost mildewy things, but I suspect I should really burn

them.

I've always assumed that mildew is just one of the many things that
helps the general breaking down into soil, and would therefore be an
asset rather than otherwise. But I may be completely wrong.

Gosh that is very interesting. Can you enlarge upon that please?

No! :-)
There's no logic behind my belief at all:-)

Other than mildew = mould = fungusy-thing = good
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 31-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Ophelia

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes

Gosh that is very interesting. Can you enlarge upon that please?

No! :-)
There's no logic behind my belief at all:-)

Other than mildew = mould = fungusy-thing = good

Yes.. I see where you are coming from)

Thank you