Old 21-09-2004, 08:32 AM
occupant

Default Sunlight - how much?

I have simple house plants, cactus and ivy types. Security requires I
install shutters on windows that will remain closed when I am at work.
At this time of the year it is dark out when I arrive home. House
plants will get no daylight/sunlight so will they die?

So the question is: How much (minimum) daylight/sunlight per day or
week is required to keep house plants alive or can they survive with an
ordinary light bulb source?

Thanks for any info.
Old 21-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Cereus-validus

Good thing you stick with the simple plants. Those fancy ones can get
complicated.

Plants need light every day in order to grow well. How many hours each day
in a 24 hour cycle is another matter. Would say at least 8 hours minimum per
day.

The three categories you mention will differ widely in their light
requirements. Cactus especially need more intense light otherwise the stems
will etiolate and become unhealthy.

Would recommend you get a plant stand with grow lights and a timer.

"occupant" wrote in message
I have simple house plants, cactus and ivy types. Security requires I
install shutters on windows that will remain closed when I am at work.
At this time of the year it is dark out when I arrive home. House
plants will get no daylight/sunlight so will they die?

So the question is: How much (minimum) daylight/sunlight per day or
week is required to keep house plants alive or can they survive with an
ordinary light bulb source?

Thanks for any info.

[IMG] code is On

How much sunlight? Maggie's Mom Orchids 11 19-07-2006 11:45 PM
TO MUCH SUNLIGHT????? bob Orchids 3 16-11-2005 08:00 PM
TOO MUCH SUNLIGHT????? bob Orchids 1 15-11-2005 08:53 PM
Grapes How much sunlight? berries Australia 2 13-04-2003 01:08 PM
lighting... how much is too much? redled Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-02-2003 05:13 AM