Old 22-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Spudboy2

Default lawn mower linkage question, wheres it go, see picture

This may not be the best newsgroup for this question, I couldn't find a small
engine or lawn mower group.

I attempted to do a carb kit on my mower, and forgot how the linkages
went, anyone know. I know I didn't remove the spring part attached
next to the engine, but for the other end and the 2nd linkage nothing seems to
fit right. Here are the photos.

http://members.aol.com/spudboy2/mower/mower1.jpg
(spring attached where I believe it goes, one end anyway)

http://members.aol.com/spudboy2/mower/mower2.jpg (2nd linkage...help)

http://members.aol.com/spudboy2/mower/mower3.jpg (another view)

Thanks for any help.

Old 23-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Roy

On 22 Sep 2004 22:29:48 GMT, (Spudboy2) wrote:

===This may not be the best newsgroup for this question, I couldn't find a small
===engine or lawn mower group.
===
===I attempted to do a carb kit on my mower, and forgot how the linkages
===went, anyone know. I know I didn't remove the spring part attached
===next to the engine, but for the other end and the 2nd linkage nothing seems to
===fit right. Here are the photos.
===
===
http://members.aol.com/spudboy2/mower/mower1.jpg
===(spring attached where I believe it goes, one end anyway)
===
===http://members.aol.com/spudboy2/mower/mower2.jpg (2nd linkage...help)
===
===http://members.aol.com/spudboy2/mower/mower3.jpg (another view)
===
===Thanks for any help.

I know how they go but I can;t really explain it........But your way
off on image number one. The spirng should actually go over the
linkage in image #2. In other words your pulling against linkage rods
with air vane governor, but once a set amount of air flow is on the
governor vane it pulls against the spring and rod. The spring also
helps to keep a constant force on the throttle linkage to keep it from
surging.

Just take a visit to any place that sells lawn mowers etc as most of
the B & S setups are pretty well the same for these engines with that
type carb. They also sell a good service manual with illustrations of
various linkages used on their motors.

A future hint if uyou dissassemble linkages and such in the future.
Take a picture before hand so you can reference it if need be. A
picture is worth more than words and is very hlepfull. Or use
different colors of model paint and dab a color on each linkage rod
end or spring end and the same color in the hole it goes into. This
alone is worth the time spent in color coding connections when it
comes to reassembly. Different mower makers use different combinations
but I think you have a pretty average mower engine here so their
service manuala would have the illustrations needed.

YOu can also try an online source that sells parts as lots of times
they have an exploded parts break down that can be helpfull.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 23-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Robert Chambers

From what I could see it's a Tecumseh engine. So don't look at a
Briggs and STratton for advice. Some of the Toro lawnmowers in home
depot have tecumseh engines so you might have a peek at one of those.
I'd also think that someone out there in webland has created a tecumseh
page that at least has some pictures on it.

good luck

Robert (not a fan of tecumseh engines)

Old 23-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Spudboy2

It is a tecumseh engine. I have a old Briggs motor on another mower I have but
it's set up differently. I did try to find a blow up parts page but so far
haven't had any luck. After looking at it again the first reply was right the
spring should be pulling the lever the other way somehow. I noticed after I
posted that I didn't get the air filter back from the lawn mower shop I had it
at, when they told me 80.00 to put the carb kit on I figure I could figure it
out myself. I think it's still worth doing myself so far, they told me I had
about a 1 in 100 chance of getting everything right. Didn't seem to hard to
replace one o-ring the primer pump bulb and a little metal thing in the carb,
no idea what it's called. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 23-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Robert Chambers

Little round plate thing that meters the air? butterfly vane, if it's
the needle thing that adjusts the fuel flow, that's the main jet. Bet
you didn't realize you had a jet powered mower did ya? should get the
yard cut a bit quicker knowing that.

Old 23-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Spudboy2

Well I did find a page showing how the linkage goes, put it on and the mower
does exactly the same as before (not run)
guess I didn't hit the one in a hundred chance after all.
Old 23-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Spudboy2

Oh yeah it was the needle thing that I replaced btw. Anyone have an idea what
would make a mower just quit. I put in a new plug cleaned out everything with
carb cleaner. Will run as long as I spray starting fluid in the carb every 2
seconds, so I guess it's getting a spark.