Old 26-09-2004, 03:42 AM
Patrick

Default Anyone Have A Kwanza Cherry Tree?

I just bought one. (I live in the Florida Panhandle.) Wondered if
anyone has any expirences with them....how have your Kwanza's done?
I'm looking for any tips/advice you could pass along to me.

Patrick
Old 28-09-2004, 04:23 AM
Ace

I bought 2 from Lowe's in Springfield, IL last Saturday for $25 a piece that
were about 7 ft tall. I hope they make it through the winter.

"fran" wrote in message
Watch out for bark beetles. They got mine.

Old 28-09-2004, 05:36 AM
nonews

I had one for about 10 years. Here in the Mid-south drainage is critical.
Water logged soil is fatal. But it is a nice tree for spring color. Enjoy!

Old 28-09-2004, 06:49 AM
Patrick

fran wrote in message . ..

Fran,

Did the tree survive? How long did you have the tree? Where do you
live? Can you give me any other details?

Patrick

Old 03-10-2004, 01:12 AM
fran

I had it for about 3 years and it was looking great. Then one
winter/spring, the bark beetles found it. That was also the year I
lost three other trees to ice storms. I think the storms may have
weakened the tree. It came back up from the roots and the current
trunk is about 4 years old. I have since learned to tell when those
beetles show up and how to get rid of them.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:38 AM
Patrick

fran wrote in message . ..

I had it for about 3 years and it was looking great. Then one
winter/spring, the bark beetles found it. That was also the year I
lost three other trees to ice storms. I think the storms may have
weakened the tree. It came back up from the roots and the current
trunk is about 4 years old. I have since learned to tell when those
beetles show up and how to get rid of them.

Fran,

So you cut the original tree done and it came back from the roots?
Wow! Did the original tree loose some major branches during the ice
storm? What do the bark beetles look like and what can you do about
them?

Patrick

Old 05-10-2004, 02:19 AM
fran

The tree died down to the ground, but the roots lived. I cut it off
at 3" from the ground. This tree lost a couple of limbs from the ice,
but nothing major. I never saw the beetles, just the bark and wood
damage. The tree suddenly had very soft discolored areas along the
trunk, starting from about 5" off the ground and working thier way up.
They showed up in the spring and by June the branches were dying. So
I cut it down in the fall. Next spring, it started coming back up
from the roots. I gather I could have killed the beetles with a
poison in the spring, (contact a reputable garden center for info),
but by the time I figured this out, it was too late.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:23 AM
Patrick

fran wrote in message . ..

Thanks for all your help/advice, Fran. It's much appreciated!

Patrick