Old 28-09-2004, 11:44 AM
TQuinn

Default Help identify my weeds.

At least, I think they're weeds. I didn't plant them, I know that much.

This one is growing through my hosta, and pretty much wherever else it wants to:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/Mvc-107f.jpg

This one I'm worried about because someone once told me it was hemlock:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-097F.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-098F.JPG

I've looked up hemlock and I see there are things it can be mistaken for, and I
really hope it's not hemlock because this stuff grows wild right next to my
driveway, no matter how many times I think I pull it all.

This next one is a very large, stalky plant growing in my yard, there were
several, but I only let this one grow to full height to see what it would do,
and this bloomed last week:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-104F.JPG

The final one is growing wherever there's shade. It gets pretty tall, but the
roots are shallow enough that I don't mind pulling it where it doesn't belong.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-106F.JPG

Most of all, I really just want to know if any of these are toxic, as I have a
dog that grazes in the yard and she comes before plants.

Thanks again for all your wisdom.
-T
Old 28-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/28/04 6:44 AM, in article ,
"TQuinn" wrote:
(Snip)

This next one is a very large, stalky plant growing in my yard, there were
several, but I only let this one grow to full height to see what it would do,
and this bloomed last week:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-104F.JPG

Looks like it one of the New England Asters

The others look familiar but I don't know names; the first looks like a knot
weed of some sort.

Cheryl

Old 28-09-2004, 01:43 PM
David Hill

The first one looks to me like a form of hardy Tradescantia.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-09-2004, 09:00 AM
gregpresley

My guesses would be tradescantia (the bit of blue flower sort of implies
it), the second, some sort of aster, although I don't know how many come in
white, and the last, possibly campanula rampunculoides. If that is what it
is, sell your house and move....LOL

Old 29-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Cereus-validus

1. Commelina communis

2. Eupatorium sp. (Asteraceae, not even in same family as hemlock.)

3. Aster sp.

4. Acalypha rhomboidea

None of them are deadly. Don't worry about the dogs eating them.

Old 29-09-2004, 02:34 PM
enigma

"TQuinn" wrote
in message
At least, I think they're weeds. I didn't plant them, I
know that much.

This one is growing through my hosta, and pretty much
wherever else it

wants to:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/Mvc-107f.jpg

looks like tradescantia. it's a pain to get rid of. i've been
working on mine for 5 years.

This one I'm worried about because someone once told me it
was hemlock:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-097F.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-098F.JPG

it's definately not water hemlock *or* eastern hemlock (which
is a tree g)
it could be white snakeroot. cows eating white snakeroot can
give toxic (potentially fatal) milk.

This next one is a very large, stalky plant growing in my
yard, there were several, but I only let this one grow to
full height to see what it would

do,
and this bloomed last week:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-104F.JPG

that looks like it might be heath aster. 3' tall, bushy,
colony forming. flowers about 1/2". leaves linear, hairy,
stiff. blooms Aug-Oct

The final one is growing wherever there's shade. It gets
pretty tall, but

the
roots are shallow enough that I don't mind pulling it
where it doesn't

belong.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bellyrunn...s/MVC-106F.JPG

i think that's copperweed. it's a PITA to get rid of, despite
being an annual.

Most of all, I really just want to know if any of these
are toxic, as I

have a
dog that grazes in the yard and she comes before plants.

most dogs just nibble grasses, in my experience. i'd try to
keep him away from the snakeroot though. the others aren't
toxic. my goats eat the copperweed when it's young, but ignore
it when it gets older. i really hate copperweed!
lee