Old 08-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Perry Templeton

Default Passion flower and Caterpillars.

I have a good sized, healthy full Passion Flower. Lots of blooms. Then in
the last month, I noticed that the Gulf Fritillary butterfly has taken up
residence. Lots of caterpillars. They have eaten back to stems about 20%
of the Passion Flower. I realize that the Gulf Fritillaries and the Passion
Flower are a natural pairing, but will the caterpillars wind up killing
their own host plants?
Perry

Old 08-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Perry Templeton

I slept in Perry, Ga. on a bicycle trip a few years ago. Bicycle Ride
Across Georgia. It's amazing that every state has a town or county named
Perry. I have pictures with me at most of them. "Perry in Perry, whatever
state!"
Perry
"Hal" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 07:12:29 -0500, "Perry Templeton"
wrote:

I have a good sized, healthy full Passion Flower. Lots of blooms. Then
in
the last month, I noticed that the Gulf Fritillary butterfly has taken up
residence. Lots of caterpillars. They have eaten back to stems about 20%
of the Passion Flower. I realize that the Gulf Fritillaries and the
Passion
Flower are a natural pairing, but will the caterpillars wind up killing
their own host plants?
Perry

Yes, sometimes they eat it to the ground. I lost mine a few years
back because it didn't have enough energy in the roots to come back
the following spring. I have two half barrel pots now and try to
save a few seed just in case, but haven't lost a plant since going to
the larger pots.

Regards

Hal in Warner Robins, about 10 miles from Perry GA.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Christopher Green

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message t...
I have a good sized, healthy full Passion Flower. Lots of blooms. Then in
the last month, I noticed that the Gulf Fritillary butterfly has taken up
residence. Lots of caterpillars. They have eaten back to stems about 20%
of the Passion Flower. I realize that the Gulf Fritillaries and the Passion
Flower are a natural pairing, but will the caterpillars wind up killing
their own host plants?
Perry

Yes, they can. I had a Passiflora for years until the caterpillars ate
it all one year. But if you want the butterflies, you have to feed the
caterpillars.

--
Chris Green
Old 09-10-2004, 03:58 AM
Perry Templeton

I have noticed that I have hanging pupae EVERYWHERE. I am going to be
overrun with butterflies.
Perry
om...

Old 09-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Lee

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message t...
I have a good sized, healthy full Passion Flower. Lots of blooms. Then in
the last month, I noticed that the Gulf Fritillary butterfly has taken up
residence. Lots of caterpillars. They have eaten back to stems about 20%
of the Passion Flower. I realize that the Gulf Fritillaries and the Passion
Flower are a natural pairing, but will the caterpillars wind up killing
their own host plants?
Perry

My vine is in it's second year and did very well,covering about 16
feet of fence and has just stopped blooming this past week, but looks
like putting on new buds with this cooler weather; just had two blooms
yesterday. Also have several of the G F's and got photo of a pair
mating, and also have a number of little redish shiny caterillars and
wonder if these are the larva of the G.F. They sure are vociferous
munchers. They were drilling into the buds and ruined a lot of them
and i squashed a bunch before it occured to me,...duh.. that they may
be baby GF's. any one know?
thanks, leo/lee