Old 08-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Jimbo

Default What is this tree?

I have a young tree about 5 ft tall. It is blooming for the first time now.
Would like to know what it is. The leaves are narrow, and not pointed at
all, they are oval-shaped. It is not an evergreen, that much is sure. The
flowers don't seem to have a scent. They are in clusters. Each flower is
yellow and about 1 inch in diameter. Each has five large front petals, and
behind these main petals, there are five more much smaller petals. Any idea
what this tree is?

Old 08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
LFR

"Jimbo" wrote in message
I have a young tree about 5 ft tall. It is blooming for the first time

now.
Would like to know what it is. The leaves are narrow, and not pointed at
all, they are oval-shaped. It is not an evergreen, that much is sure. The
flowers don't seem to have a scent. They are in clusters. Each flower is
yellow and about 1 inch in diameter. Each has five large front petals, and
behind these main petals, there are five more much smaller petals. Any

idea
what this tree is?

Try doing an image search on Google

Old 08-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Cereus-validus

Where on the planet are you?

Why don't you post a picture of it on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens?

Your description is inadequate for identification.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Cereus-validus

Which keyword do you want him to Google search?

"Tree"?

That should really narrow things down..............NOT!

Old 09-10-2004, 12:17 PM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

A understory tree that has spiral yellow flowers in the fall
is the witch hazel. Its a wonderful plant with nice flowers in fall. When
I think of fall and yellow flowers I think of Witch Hazel. Maybe not your
baby, but it does bloom in fall.
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/uniqu...e_flowers.html

--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

Old 09-10-2004, 03:01 PM
GrampysGurl

I think of fall and yellow flowers I think of Witch Hazel. Maybe not your

Witch Hazel blooms in the winter here.... February or so if I remember
correctly... )
Colleen Zone 5 CT
Old 09-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Pam - gardengal

"GrampysGurl" wrote in message
I think of fall and yellow flowers I think of Witch Hazel. Maybe not

your

Witch Hazel blooms in the winter here.... February or so if I remember
correctly... )
Colleen Zone 5 CT

Hamamelis virginiana is a fall blooming witch hazel common to wide areas of
the east coast. Perhaps less widely planted than the late winter blooming
hybrids, but a lovely native plant nonetheless. But I have a hard time
fitting the OP's description to a witch hazel - the leaves are not exactly
what could be considered narrow (although definitely oval in shape) and the
flowers are comprised of narrow little petals like spiders. Certainly a
possibility, though.

pam - gardengal

Old 10-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Jimbo

It is definitely not witch hazel. Those flowers are yellow, but they look
spidery...each petal is like a very narrow leg. And as I said, there are
exactly five petals in front that are probably each 1/8 in wide, and
another five of the same shape, but half as big, behind the front petals.
There are about four long, prominent stamens sticking up from the center of
the flower. Yea, a picture would make ID a lot easier, but I don't have
access to any binary newsgroups through my cable ISP. Perhaps there is some
website that is sort of an encyclopedia of trees showing the flowers for
each?