Old 10-10-2004, 08:04 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default 2 cycle vs. 4 differences?

I'm debating between a Lawnboy 6.5 hp 2 cycle self propelled vs. a 6.5 hp
Toro/Lawnboy 4 cycle self propelled mower. I prefer a 2 cycle, but for $20 more
than the Lawnboy, the Toro is electric start.
I sort of like this feature. I've always owned 2 cycle mowers, I like the fact
that you don't have to worry about changing or checking oil.
Since they're the same h.p., would they have the same power? As for as
cutting/mulching grass?
Are there any other pros or cons of a 4 cycle over a 2, or visa versa?

Old 10-10-2004, 09:25 PM
zxcvbob

TOM KAN PA wrote:

I'm debating between a Lawnboy 6.5 hp 2 cycle self propelled vs. a 6.5 hp
Toro/Lawnboy 4 cycle self propelled mower. I prefer a 2 cycle, but for $20 more
than the Lawnboy, the Toro is electric start.
I sort of like this feature. I've always owned 2 cycle mowers, I like the fact
that you don't have to worry about changing or checking oil.
Since they're the same h.p., would they have the same power? As for as
cutting/mulching grass?
Are there any other pros or cons of a 4 cycle over a 2, or visa versa?

Two-cycle is lighter and smaller for the same horsepower, which really
doesn't matter for a lawmmower. The biggest overlooked advantage of a
2-cycle is it can be used in any position without it starving for oil.
That's a big deal if you are mowing steep hills, otherwise it doesn't
make any difference with a lawnmower.

Good premix oil for an aircooled 2-cycle engine is expensive, so it
really increases your fuel cost over a 4-cycle.

Bob
Old 10-10-2004, 10:28 PM
William Brown

I know in outboard motors, the 4 cycle gets far better mileage than the
2 cycle, but mileage is probably not important for a lawn mower. I
believe that the 4 cycle, as a rule, pollutes less than a 2 cycle.

TOM KAN PA wrote:
I'm debating between a Lawnboy 6.5 hp 2 cycle self propelled vs. a 6.5 hp
Toro/Lawnboy 4 cycle self propelled mower. I prefer a 2 cycle, but for $20 more
than the Lawnboy, the Toro is electric start.
I sort of like this feature. I've always owned 2 cycle mowers, I like the fact
that you don't have to worry about changing or checking oil.
Since they're the same h.p., would they have the same power? As for as
cutting/mulching grass?
Are there any other pros or cons of a 4 cycle over a 2, or visa versa?

there.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Phisherman

On 10 Oct 2004 19:04:42 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

I'm debating between a Lawnboy 6.5 hp 2 cycle self propelled vs. a 6.5 hp
Toro/Lawnboy 4 cycle self propelled mower. I prefer a 2 cycle, but for $20 more
than the Lawnboy, the Toro is electric start.
I sort of like this feature. I've always owned 2 cycle mowers, I like the fact
that you don't have to worry about changing or checking oil.
Since they're the same h.p., would they have the same power? As for as
cutting/mulching grass?
Are there any other pros or cons of a 4 cycle over a 2, or visa versa?

Four cycle engines:
Require oil changes
Checking oil level regularly
Less noise
May not lubricate well when operated on steep slopes
Has more torque than the 2-cycle counterpart
Easier to repair
No need to have a separate oil-gas mix container.
Uses 30W oil
Less polluting

I bought the Self-Pace Toro a couple months ago (no electric start)
and really like it. It mows faster than the 21" Honda mower (due to
the self pace feature and the 22" blade). It takes a couple mowings
to get used to the self-pace feature, but once you get the hang of it
I think you'll like it. It starts on the first pull, every time. For
a new Toro mower I recommend changing the oil after 2 hours of use and
again 2 more hours of use--the break in period turns the oil black
quickly.

Old 12-10-2004, 04:24 AM
Doug Kanter

"Jack B." wrote in message
m...
c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message

I'm debating between a Lawnboy 6.5 hp 2 cycle self propelled vs. a 6.5

hp
Toro/Lawnboy 4 cycle self propelled mower. I prefer a 2 cycle, but for

$20 more
than the Lawnboy, the Toro is electric start.
I sort of like this feature. I've always owned 2 cycle mowers, I like

the fact
that you don't have to worry about changing or checking oil.
Since they're the same h.p., would they have the same power? As for as
cutting/mulching grass?
Are there any other pros or cons of a 4 cycle over a 2, or visa versa?

Personally, I would not go back to a two cycle. One of my big
complaints with them (Lawnboy in specific) was the smoke and smell.
Mow for more than one minute and you whole body (clothes, hair, skin)
are permeated with that burned oil smell. Changing the oil is simple,
and it only needs it a couple of times a season. My 4 cycle seems a
bit easier to start and reliable, but that is purely subjective. I
can mow the lawn without smelling like an exhaust pipe.

RB

Agreed. And, if the guy who wrote the message has a problem with oil
changes, he can do one of three things:

1) Look closely at HOW the oil is drained out of the models he's
considering. Some are designed by smart people who want customers to be
happy. Others are designed by people who flunked out of torture 201 at the
CIA, but are still pretty good at it. Although it's mentally challenging for
retail employees, tell them to create an empty space at eye level and help
you lift the mower onto that space (i.e.: table) so you can really get a
good look at it. Ask for the instruction manual and don't buy the mower
unless you like the oil drain arrangement.

2) Rig up appropriate tubing, clamp and funnel so the chore isn't a disaster
that wrecks a pair of pants, a pair of gloves, a pair of shoes and 10 sq ft
of the garage floor.

3) Buy the mower from a real yard equipment dealer, not a giant retailer.
Take it to the shop for annual maintenance. If you're not good at it, it's
very unmanly to phuque up your mower so it only lasts two years. It's very
manly to pay someone fifty bucks, get back a clean, functioning mower, and
be able to tell your wife what a genius you are for making that decision.
She'll think of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry line "A man's got to know his
limitations". You will remind her of Clint Eastwood, and she'll be all over
you like white on rice (in a good way).

Old 12-10-2004, 08:00 PM
TOM KAN PA

Personally, I would not go back to a two cycle.
____Reply Separator_____
I went with the Toro Model 20031 Personal Pace Electric Start for $399 (Home
Depot). This included the bag.
I'd say it was a better deal than the Lawnboy for $379 (pull start, with a $50
optional bag kit).
I really wanted to give the business to the local "mom & pop" hardware, but
they had no Toros except for commercial models for two to three times as costly
as the home model I got.