Old 16-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Perry Templeton

Default Ideas

I need some ideas on what to plant, where...design in landscape, perhaps.
Is there a specific ng for those types of suggestions?
Perry

Old 16-10-2004, 10:08 PM
paghat

There are websites all over the net if you use search words at google.com
on to find pages on topics or questions you may have. And there are
beginner handbooks at your nearest library that will be very helpful, with
sundry landscape arrangement plans shown & discussed. You can always ask
stuff in this group & if it's TOO elementary someone may make fun of
"what's one plus one" sort of stuff, but others will take the time to make
suggestions, some of which will probably be useful.

As a beginner-generality: Plant stuff you like which is appropriate to
your climate (or USDA gardening zone) & for the lighting conditions around
your garden areas. Start with small trees or large shrubs to establish the
"bones" & rough outline then fill in with subshrubs & perennials, followed
by bulbs.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 16-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Pam - gardengal

"paghat" wrote in message
news

There are websites all over the net if you use search words at google.com
on to find pages on topics or questions you may have. And there are
beginner handbooks at your nearest library that will be very helpful, with
sundry landscape arrangement plans shown & discussed. You can always ask
stuff in this group & if it's TOO elementary someone may make fun of
"what's one plus one" sort of stuff, but others will take the time to make
suggestions, some of which will probably be useful.

As a beginner-generality: Plant stuff you like which is appropriate to
your climate (or USDA gardening zone) & for the lighting conditions around
your garden areas. Start with small trees or large shrubs to establish the
"bones" & rough outline then fill in with subshrubs & perennials, followed
by bulbs.

And in addition to paghat's very good suggestions, there are professionals
who do landscape design and consultation as a business. Depending on your
circumstances and the time you have to devote to it, it could make sense to
hire a professional for some advice. It can save money in the long run by
eliminating some trial and error mistakes, specially if you are very
inexperienced, but landscape design is not rocket science and if you are
willing to do some research and some homework, you can pull it off quite
nicely on your own. A visit to a local nursery or arboretum or public garden
in your area will give you ideas on what grows well in your location and in
what situations.

It is sometimes difficult to assist with a landscape design by remote - much
better to be able to see the site in person and evaluate the conditions in
real life, so keep that in mind when soliciting suggestions online. And not
all planting suggestions will be relevant, so you will need to weed out
inappropriate ones if you can (excuse the pun!).

pam - gardengal

Old 19-10-2004, 11:27 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Where are you located? I could refer you to someone maybe.
email me at
--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com