Old 31-10-2004, 07:03 PM
junkyardcat

Default Two questions..Aloe Vera plants and Climbing Shell

Happy Halloween from the Boonies of East Texas

Two questions for you...
I have an Aloe Vera plant that I bought from a yard sale this Summer. It was
a tiny little thing, but since I transplanted it into a bigger pot, it's
gotten huge and has lots of baby plants growing out from it. Now, if I want
to make new plants from those baby ones, how do I do it? Can you snip some
off and start a new plant from it?
Second question..I have a Climbing Shell plant I bought from a catalog. That
sucker has gone nuts and is all over the place now! It's a beautiful plant
with purple shell looking flowers all over it. Now, if I want to take some
of it and create new plants, how would I do it? Just snip some off, or dig a
whole plant up? If I want to cut it back a little, can I cut some of the
plant off without harming it?
Thanks for any info you can give me. I love to learn new things about
gardening
Angie

Old 31-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Cereus-validus.

The so-called "babies" are the new plants. Wait until next spring to pot up
the offsets from your Aloe.

What in the freak is a "Climbing Shell plant" supposed to be? Is that
something Texas oil barons like to grow? Why isn't it called a "Climbing
Shell Bush"? Which catalog was that?

Old 01-11-2004, 02:15 AM
simy1

"junkyardcat" wrote in message ...
Happy Halloween from the Boonies of East Texas

Two questions for you...
I have an Aloe Vera plant that I bought from a yard sale this Summer. It was
a tiny little thing, but since I transplanted it into a bigger pot, it's
gotten huge and has lots of baby plants growing out from it. Now, if I want
to make new plants from those baby ones, how do I do it? Can you snip some
off and start a new plant from it?

you go as deep as possible to make sure you get as much root as
possible. I usually split them only when I put them outside for the
summer. at that point I take the whole thing out of the pot, take all
the babies, and replace some of the soil. but, and here is some bad
news, next year it will make another five or seven baby plants, and
the next year too. soon you will run out of friends who might want
one.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardcat
[...]

Hi Angie,
Since your aloe question has already been answered, I'll address your climbing shell plant - Vigna caracalla. I did a search at www.google.com and found the botanical (Latin) name and then searched with:
Vigna caracalla + propagate

Here's a couple of sites that should be helpful.
http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/1884/
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...392422138.html

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Cereus-validus." in . com:

What in the freak is a "Climbing Shell plant" supposed to be? Is that
something Texas oil barons like to grow? Why isn't it called a "Climbing
Shell Bush"? Which catalog was that?

"ambitious shell-gamer" might be more polite than social climber?

google:

climbing shell plant (vigna caracella)

aka snail plant! :-)

Old 06-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Cereus-validus.

Who was asking you, Gardnofo fake mail?

You did not post the original question.

Your guess may be completely wrong.

" wrote in message
"Cereus-validus." in

. com:

Old 10-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Cereus-validus.

You can bite the tube steak, Gardnub.

The original question was whether you were too dim to know when to just sod
off.

" wrote in message
"Spurious-invalidus." in

. com:

Who was asking you, Gardnofo fake mail?

you posted puns and questions to an open forum on usenet.

You did not post the original question.

neither did you

Your guess may be completely wrong.

so may yours - so what?

[IMG] code is On

Can aloe vera plants be grown outdoors in England Kent paterson00 Gardening 3 13-05-2008 04:47 PM
Rooting aloe vera plants Jim Carlock Gardening 5 07-03-2006 11:05 AM
Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 09:07 PM
Aloe Vera Plant and Freezing weather junkyardcat Gardening 20 02-03-2005 07:30 PM
Aloe Vera Plants rusty Plant Biology 13 05-04-2003 03:32 PM