Old 11-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Jimbo

Default Can young plumerias be put up for winter?

I have about 50 very young plumerias, all in 1 gal pots, that haven't been
rooted very long. They have leafed out, but haven't grown any taller than
the original cutting yet. I know that at least with my older/larger
plumerias I can just pull them up out of their pots, wash off the roots, put
in garbage bags, and store them inside for the winter, but I am not sure
about the young ones. I don't have enough space anywhere inside our small
heated house big enough to just bring in all the young plants still in their
pots. And although there is enough floor space in the garage for all the
pots, there is no heating..... and since there are openings from the
underside of the house (on piers) into the garage, it wouldn't be practical
to try to heat it. I am a little concerned that their root systems might
not yet be so well developed as my large potted plumerias, and so some of
them might be killed attempting to un-pot them and put them in bags.
I m in S. Texas, right on the coast. Very mild winters here, but we do
usually have a few days of hard freezes each winter.
I am thinking it is better to risk killing SOME of the young plants from
root damage, rather than risk losing ALL of them from a hard freeze. Advice?

Old 17-12-2004, 06:55 AM
JJ

"Jimbo" wrote:
I am thinking it is better to risk killing SOME of the young plants from
root damage, rather than risk losing ALL of them from a hard freeze. Advice?

Hi Jimbo,

Did you get an answer to your question yet? How cold do you think
your garage will get? Below 40F? Freezing?

I'm pretty sure there are several active plumeria groups at
www.yahoogroups.com and they've probably answered your question in the
past.

also this site was helpful to me with my handful of young plumeria.
http://www.plumeria101.com/problems/stem_rot.html

I just bring them inside the house and in the pots for the Winter. I
think I could just keep them in their pots in my unheated garage
because even though it will hit just below 30F outside several times
in the Winter, the Garage stays above 40F

Jay