Old 15-11-2004, 03:26 AM
SVTKate

Lynn, it can't be ANYTHING like California drivers.

--
Kate
98 Cobra Drop Top

Old 15-11-2004, 06:20 AM
Steve Wolfe

Lynn, it can't be ANYTHING like California drivers.

Every place has bad drivers, they're just different. California drivers
are bad drivers in different ways than Nevada drivers, who are in turn bad
in different ways from Idaho drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in
different ways from Virginia drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in
different ways from D.C. drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different
ways than New York drivers.

I haven't visitted every state in the nation yet, but of those that I have
visitted, I haven't yet found a place where people are predominantly *good*
drivers.

steve

Old 15-11-2004, 11:22 AM
dps

JCMumsie wrote:
Plowable snow here this morning in Central Ct. - gardening season is over

We got 3" here in MA. No problem. Ground is not frozen and the snow
insulated our lettuce from the 15F temperatures the next night. Some
lettuce under row covers was squashed by the weight of the snow on the
covers, but it tastes just fine. I expect the snow to disappear over the
next few days with the expected temperatures in the 40's and 50's. The
ground isn't frozen, so it won't be mud season just yet.

Covered the carrots and beets with leaves. I'll be digging them until
March. (After that, when the ground starts to warm up, the root crops
start to grow again and use the sugars stored in the roots, so they're
not as good, although still edible.)

I've tried to store the carrots in wet sand in a cold place, but they
get wimpy after a while. Much better right out of the ground. However
digging carrots in 10 degree weather is not quite as enjoyable as
digging them in the fall.
Old 15-11-2004, 11:24 AM
dps

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
...And everyone has forgotten how to drive? I certainly noticed a few people
that didn't own snow scrappers on the roads.....

For that reason I always recommend you turn on your lights when driving.
Not so that you can see better, but so the other person who hasn't fully
defrosted their windshield can see you. This is particularly applicable
to the morning commute.
Old 15-11-2004, 11:25 AM
dps

Ann wrote:
...What amazes me is that snow makes headlines here in New England. I'm
sure the snow will be the lead story on the news tonight, people are
continually surprised, I guess, when it snows in winter around here!

But winter's still more than a month away!

Old 15-11-2004, 11:27 AM
dps

Steve Wolfe wrote:
Lynn, it can't be ANYTHING like California drivers.

Every place has bad drivers, they're just different. California drivers
are bad drivers in different ways than Nevada drivers, who are in turn bad
in different ways from Idaho drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in
different ways from Virginia drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in
different ways from D.C. drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different
ways than New York drivers.

I haven't visitted every state in the nation yet, but of those that I have
visitted, I haven't yet found a place where people are predominantly *good*
drivers.

steve

You want interesting driving habits, try Brazil. I haven't tried Africa
or Asia yet.
Old 15-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/15/04 6:27 AM, in article
, "dps"
wrote:

Steve Wolfe wrote:
Lynn, it can't be ANYTHING like California drivers.

Every place has bad drivers, they're just different. California drivers
are bad drivers in different ways than Nevada drivers, who are in turn bad
in different ways from Idaho drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in
different ways from Virginia drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in
different ways from D.C. drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different
ways than New York drivers.

I haven't visitted every state in the nation yet, but of those that I have
visitted, I haven't yet found a place where people are predominantly *good*
drivers.

steve

You want interesting driving habits, try Brazil. I haven't tried Africa
or Asia yet.

Italian road ways are hairy!

Cheryl

Old 15-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/15/04 6:24 AM, in article
, "dps"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
...And everyone has forgotten how to drive? I certainly noticed a few people
that didn't own snow scrappers on the roads.....

For that reason I always recommend you turn on your lights when driving.
Not so that you can see better, but so the other person who hasn't fully
defrosted their windshield can see you. This is particularly applicable
to the morning commute.

I do that automatically!

Cheryl

Old 15-11-2004, 12:44 PM
GrampysGurl

And everyone has forgotten how to drive? I certainly noticed a few people
that didn't own snow scrappers on the roads.....

Cheryl

We own them but for whatever reason DH takes them out of the car in the summer
(not like they take up much room).... we moved and now he can't find them. I'm
trying to be patient LOL!!
Colleen
Zone 5 CT
Old 15-11-2004, 02:11 PM

here in the frozen tundra (I am close to the lake and havent been hit with hard
freeze either) .... with all the snow the wisdom is dont go out driving the first
snow if possible, wait til all the idiots wipe out.
I head to large parking lot and do spins getting a feel for it before I hit the
roads. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 15-11-2004, 02:13 PM

sigh.. my inlaws just left Hudson Valley for good. moved to Sarasota. Ingrid

(Marg) wrote:

We got 1 1/2 to 2 inches in the Hudson Valley of NY...

I'm also here in the Hudson Valley. Nice to meet you Tom.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 15-11-2004, 03:21 PM
escape

When it rains and is 50 degrees, the malls close down here. LOL!

Actually, our roads are slick with oil from the dry times, so when it finally
rains in spring or fall, many people go bump in the night.

Victoria

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:13:47 GMT, opined:

(Marg) wrote:

We got 1 1/2 to 2 inches in the Hudson Valley of NY...

I'm also here in the Hudson Valley. Nice to meet you Tom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 15-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Ann

dps expounded:

But winter's still more than a month away!

Oh, I don't think the seasons bother with reading a calendar.
November is either cold, snowy, rainy, or positively warm. Take your
pick from year to year! One year we were running around in shorts and
t-shirts on Thanksgiving day. A year or so later (or earlier) we were
dealing with almost 2' of snow. It's New England! I wouldn't live
anywhere else.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 16-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Steve Wolfe

You want interesting driving habits, try Brazil. I haven't tried Africa
or Asia yet.

I've seen Mexico, it's a zoo. And pictures/videos from asia that I've
seen are unimaginable.

Of course, I've also seen videos of traffic in the USA from the early days
of cars, when the idea of having "lanes" hadn't even been proposed....

steve